Modeling a mechanical power system

In summary, the conversation is about modeling a mechanical power system for a video game project. The system includes meshing gears, belts, axles/shafts, clutches, power producers (hand crank, windmills, water wheels, turbines), and consumers (millstones, stamp mills, etc). The goal is to model the system as a whole using discrete time steps and to incorporate storage in the form of torsion springs and flywheels. The best way to model multiple producers or consumers hooked into the same network is discussed, with the suggestion to use the electrical circuit analogy and power as the main commodity being supplied. The option to write equations of motion for each item is also mentioned, along with familiarity with basic mechanics and the Lag
Flaxbeard
I'm working on modeling a basic mechanical power system for a video game project. The transfer system consists of meshing gears, belts, and axles/shafts which can have basic clutches that engage/disengage. There are also power producers (hand crank, windmills, water wheels, turbines) and consumers (millstones, stamp mills, etc).

I'd like to ignore transmission losses. I'm wondering the best way to model the system. Right now, I am considering a system having a total torque and angular velocity. What would be the best way to model the system as a whole, using discrete time steps? Each power producer has its own angular velocity (a fast-spinning turbine vs a slow-spinning water wheel) and torque, and certain power consumers need requisite amounts of torque to spin (a millstone, for example). I'd also like to incorporate storage in the form of torsion springs and flywheels. Specifically, I'm wondering how to model interactions when there are multiple producers or consumers hooked into the same network (ie, a turbine and water wheel together). Would it be easier to model the system based on forces?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Flaxbeard said:
I'm working on modeling a basic mechanical power system for a video game project. The transfer system consists of meshing gears, belts, and axles/shafts which can have basic clutches that engage/disengage. There are also power producers (hand crank, windmills, water wheels, turbines) and consumers (millstones, stamp mills, etc).

I'd like to ignore transmission losses. I'm wondering the best way to model the system. Right now, I am considering a system having a total torque and angular velocity. What would be the best way to model the system as a whole, using discrete time steps? Each power producer has its own angular velocity (a fast-spinning turbine vs a slow-spinning water wheel) and torque, and certain power consumers need requisite amounts of torque to spin (a millstone, for example). Specifically, I'm wondering how to model interactions when there are multiple producers or consumers hooked into the same network (ie, a turbine and water wheel together). Would it be easier to model the system based on forces?
I suggest using the electrical circuit analogy throughout as it is so well known and understood. I suggest using power as the main commodity being supplied, and use just a DC representation, but pretend you have transformers for it, to represent gearboxes.

Likes Flaxbeard
You also have the option to write the actual equations of motion for each item, if that interests you.

Dr.D said:
You also have the option to write the actual equations of motion for each item, if that interests you.
I'd like to treat the system as a whole, if possible. The system is statically constructed (no new gears etc) after creation, so if each item's properties could be combined into a whole that could work.

Flaxbeard said:
What language are you coding int? Are you familiar with basic Mechanics, including Kinematic Equations, Summing of Forces and Moments, etc.?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/index.html#mechcon

:smile:

berkeman said:
What language are you coding int? Are you familiar with basic Mechanics, including Kinematic Equations, Summing of Forces and Moments, etc.?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/index.html#mechcon

:smile:
I'm using Java. I'm a uni student who has taken Kinematics & Mechanics and will take Electricity and Magnetism next semester.

Flaxbeard said:
I'd like to treat the system as a whole, if possible. The system is statically constructed (no new gears etc) after creation, so if each item's properties could be combined into a whole that could work.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the system is statically constructed..." Most machines are constructed in a static state, but surely that is not your point, so this does not tell me very much.

I see no reason why you cannot write equations of motion for the system as a whole. Are you acquainted with the Lagrange formulation? This should make it pretty easy, I would think.

Dr.D said:
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the system is statically constructed..." Most machines are constructed in a static state, but surely that is not your point, so this does not tell me very much.

I see no reason why you cannot write equations of motion for the system as a whole. Are you acquainted with the Lagrange formulation? This should make it pretty easy, I would think.
It would be inefficient to model the state of every individual component in the system - it would be more performant to treat the system as one entity.

Flaxbeard said:
It would be inefficient to model the state of every individual component in the system - it would be more performant to treat the system as one entity.
Can you give some concrete examples to help us our? How would you model these in your technique?
  • Car automatic transmission
  • Car manual transmission
  • Glider aircraft
  • Motorized Combat Tank with main gun and coaxial machine gun
  • Exoskeleton equipped infantry soldier

Last edited:
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you want to model that system as defined, not some other system thought to be in some undefined manner equivalent.

By the way, what does "performant" mean? This is a new word for me.

Related to Modeling a mechanical power system

What is a mechanical power system?

A mechanical power system is a type of system that converts energy into mechanical work, such as motion or force. This can include machines, engines, or other mechanical devices.

Why is modeling a mechanical power system important?

Modeling a mechanical power system allows scientists and engineers to understand how the system works and predict its behavior. This is crucial for designing and optimizing the system for maximum efficiency and performance.

What are the different types of models used for mechanical power systems?

There are various types of models that can be used for mechanical power systems, including mathematical models, physical models, and computer simulations. Each type has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of model may depend on the specific goals of the study.

What are the key factors to consider when modeling a mechanical power system?

When modeling a mechanical power system, it is important to consider factors such as the type of energy input, the type of output, the efficiency of the system, and any external factors that may affect its performance. It is also important to accurately represent the physical and mechanical properties of the system in the model.

How can modeling a mechanical power system be applied in real-world situations?

Modeling a mechanical power system can be applied in various industries, such as manufacturing, transportation, and energy production. It can help with designing and optimizing machines and engines, predicting their performance, and identifying potential issues before they occur.