Modal participation factor & effective mass - semi definite system

In summary, the OP has solved a torsional semi-definite system problem. He has uploaded the solved problem. It appears that he is assuming an unrealistically rigid mode, and the lack of flexibility of the structure is irrelevant. Any structure that is not fixed in some way will have zero frequency modes. Chronos's comment is not clear.
jason.bourne
i have solved a torsional semi-definite system problem.
i have uploaded the solved problem.
solved for modal participation factor and effective mass.

for a semi definite system we know that one of the modes is rigid mode with natural frequency 0.

i think due to the presence of rigid mode I'm getting the modal participation factor vector as [5.3157 -3.76* 10^-3].

is this answer right? i mean how can there be no contribution from the flexible mode?

Attachments

• page 1.pdf
    320.9 KB · Views: 245
  • page 2.pdf
    404.5 KB · Views: 226
Engineering news on Phys.org
It appears you are assuming an unrealistically rigid mode. There is no such thing as a perfectly rigid body.

how do i compute modal participation factor then?

I don't understand Chronos's comment. the zero frequency mode describes motion of the structure with no deformation, (i.e. no internal strain energy). The flexibility of the structure (or lack of it) is irrelevant. Any structure that is not fixed in some way will have zero frequency modes.

The OP's arithmetic looks OK in terms of putting numbers into the equations, but I think the issue is that this is not the right way to use modal participation factors. A good application would be calculating the response of a building to earthquake loads. You find the normal modes with the base of the building fixed, and then use the mode participation factors to find which modes are important in the dynamics, when the base moves in a prescribed manner.

If one of the modes corresponds to rigid body motion of the structure, it's kind of obvious that its MPF will be much bigger than the others, and that's what you got. I don't think the other MPF for the elastic mode is "zero", it's just very small number compared with MPF of the zero frequency mode.

But if you model your rotor fixed at one end, you only have one mode anyway, so calculating its MPF won't tell you anything useful (except that if its effective mass is not equal to the real mass, you made a mistake somewhere).

Related to Modal participation factor & effective mass - semi definite system

1. What is the modal participation factor?

The modal participation factor is a measure of the contribution of each mode or natural frequency of a structure to its overall dynamic response. It is calculated by dividing the mode shape of a particular mode by the sum of all mode shapes of the structure. This factor is used to determine the importance of each mode in the dynamic analysis of the structure.

2. How is the modal participation factor different from the effective mass?

The modal participation factor and the effective mass are two different measures used in the dynamic analysis of structures. The modal participation factor is a dimensionless quantity that indicates the contribution of each mode to the overall response, while the effective mass is a physical quantity that represents the mass participating in a particular mode. The effective mass is calculated by summing the mass contributions of each degree of freedom in a mode.

3. Why is it important to calculate the modal participation factor?

The modal participation factor is important because it helps identify the most critical modes in the dynamic response of a structure. By knowing the contribution of each mode, engineers can focus on the most significant modes and design the structure accordingly to ensure its safety and stability.

4. How does the semi definite system affect the modal participation factor and effective mass?

A semi definite system is a structural system that has both positive and negative stiffness. In such systems, the modal participation factor and effective mass can be significantly affected. The presence of negative stiffness may result in negative modal participation factors and effective masses, which can lead to unstable or divergent dynamic responses.

5. Can the modal participation factor and effective mass change over time?

Yes, the modal participation factor and effective mass can change over time in structural systems. This can happen due to changes in the structural properties, such as stiffness or mass, or due to external forces acting on the structure. Therefore, it is essential to regularly update and recalculate these factors to ensure accurate dynamic analysis and design of the structure.