Mobility and degrees of freedom

It is given byMO=3N-2P1-P2where:N = number of linksP1 = number of lower pairsP2 = number of higher pairsIn summary, mobility is the number of possible independent motions of a mechanism, while degrees of freedom is a calculation based on the number of links and types of pairs in a mechanism. However, there may be differences in the equations used to calculate these values in different sources.
morry
Hi guys,

Just a quick question. In my lecturers notes, he has mobility and degrees of freedom as different things. With a separate equation for each.

However, when I went searching the net for some info because I couldn't understand the notes, I found it to be different.

The sites I found on the web, which look legit, say they are the same thing.

My lecturers notes say that Mobility = 3n-2p1-p2. And degree of freedom = MO -L.

I have no idea what that L means.

Can anyone explain this to me?
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
define mobility

Degrees of freedom

Degrees of freedom is given by
DOF=3(N-1)-2P-H

N= number of links
p=numberof lowerpair
h=number of higher pair

lower pairs are sliding pair,cylindrical pair,spherical pair
higher pairs have only point contact.
eg;cam and follower

Related to Mobility and degrees of freedom

1. What is meant by mobility in science?

Mobility refers to the ability of a molecule or particle to move and rotate in a given space. It is an important concept in chemistry and physics, as it affects the behavior and interactions of molecules and particles.

2. How is mobility related to degrees of freedom?

Degrees of freedom refers to the number of independent ways a molecule or particle can move or rotate in a given space. Mobility and degrees of freedom are directly related - the higher the number of degrees of freedom, the higher the mobility of the molecule or particle.

3. How do you determine the number of degrees of freedom for a molecule?

The number of degrees of freedom for a molecule can be determined by using the formula 3N - k, where N is the number of atoms in the molecule and k is the number of constraints. Constraints can include fixed bond lengths or symmetry elements.

4. Why is the understanding of mobility and degrees of freedom important in chemistry?

The understanding of mobility and degrees of freedom is important in chemistry because it helps us predict and understand the behavior and interactions of molecules. It also allows us to design and manipulate molecules for specific purposes, such as in drug development or material design.

5. How does temperature affect mobility and degrees of freedom?

As temperature increases, the mobility of molecules and particles also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, molecules have more kinetic energy and are able to overcome any constraints or intermolecular forces, resulting in a higher number of degrees of freedom. This can lead to changes in physical and chemical properties of substances, such as melting or boiling points.