Mo. boy found alive 2 days after wandering away

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
In summary, a 3-year-old boy named Joshua Childers wandered away from his home in Arcadia, Missouri and was missing for 50 hours. Despite a two-day search, he was finally found in good condition by a volunteer walking along an ATV trail three miles from his home. The boy was lying in a hollow near a creek and was found thanks to a couple of stray dogs sniffing at him. He was successfully reunited with his family and will most likely not remember anything from the ordeal.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Looks like a minor miracle. I wonder how much he will remember when he is older.
Mo. boy found alive 2 days after wandering away
By JIM SALTER – 13 hours ago

ARCADIA, Mo. (AP) — A 3-year-old boy was found in remarkably good condition Wednesday, 50 hours after he wandered away from his home and became lost in the rugged hills of Missouri's Mark Twain National Forest.

Joshua Childers slipped out of his family's mobile home near Arcadia in rural southeast Missouri around 11:30 a.m. Monday.

Two full days and nights of searching proved increasingly frustrating until around 4 p.m. Wednesday, when search volunteer Donnie Halpin, walking along an all-terrain vehicle trail about three miles from the boy's home, spied a couple of stray dogs sniffing at something.

Halpin, 57, told The Associated Press he looked on the ground of a hollow near a creek bottom and saw the boy lying there, facing the other way. Unsure of the boy was alive, Halpin said, "Hey, Bud."

"He jumped right up and grinned at me," Halpin said. "I said, 'You ready to go home?' He said, 'Yeah.'"
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i8f-a9LCtwdlFx3duiiytTMxVrtQD9815NGG2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt he will remember anything. I will though. Thanks for the story.

2 days is not enough to hurt a healthy child in fair weather. He only wandered 3 miles on an easy trail?

Last edited:
As if he won't remember anything. I can remember things when I was 2...

Related to Mo. boy found alive 2 days after wandering away

1. What factors contributed to the boy's survival for 2 days?

The boy's survival can be attributed to several factors such as his age, physical health, and the environment he was found in. Generally, young children have a higher chance of survival due to their smaller size and lower metabolic rate. Additionally, if the boy was well-nourished and hydrated before he wandered off, his body would have been better equipped to handle the stress of being lost. The weather and temperature of the area where he was found could have also played a role in his survival.

2. How common is it for a child to survive for 2 days after getting lost?

The likelihood of a child surviving for 2 days after wandering away varies depending on several factors, such as age, weather conditions, and access to resources like food and water. In general, it is not common for a young child to survive on their own for such a long period of time, but it is not impossible. The outcome also greatly depends on the efforts of search and rescue teams and the cooperation of the child.

3. What precautions can be taken to prevent a child from getting lost?

To prevent a child from getting lost, it is important to always keep an eye on them and never let them wander off alone. Parents can also take precautions such as using child leashes in crowded areas, teaching children their full name and parents' names, and having them memorize important phone numbers. It is also crucial to have a plan in place for what to do if a child does get lost, such as having a designated meeting spot or contacting authorities immediately.

4. How does the body cope with being lost for an extended period of time?

When the body is lost and exposed to stressors such as lack of food and water, it goes into survival mode. The body conserves energy by slowing down metabolic processes, resulting in a decrease in body temperature and heart rate. The body also releases hormones to help the person stay alert and focused. However, if the person does not find food and water soon, the body will eventually shut down, leading to dehydration, organ failure, and death.

5. What can be done to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future?

To prevent similar incidents from happening in the future, it is important to educate children on the importance of staying with a trusted adult and not wandering off alone. Parents can also take steps to secure their home, such as installing child-proof locks on doors and windows, to prevent children from leaving without supervision. It is also crucial for parents and caregivers to constantly supervise young children and have a plan in place in case of an emergency.