Mixed method of solving differential equations

In summary, the operator method is a useful tool for solving linear differential equations, particularly when dealing with trigonometric functions. By using eigenvalue substitution and the annihilator method, we can find particular solutions to these equations. However, it is important to note that the particular solution obtained may not be equivalent to the original equation and may not give the general solution.
Kaguro
Homework Statement
Find the particular integral of the following DE:
y'' + y' + 3y = 5cos(2x+3)
Relevant Equations
The operator method.
I use the operator method here:
(D^2 + D+3)y = 5cos(2x+3)

## y = \frac{1}{D^2+D+3} 5cos(2x+3) ##
## \Rightarrow y= \frac{5}{-(2)^2+D+3}cos(2x+3) ##
## \Rightarrow y= \frac{5}{-4+D+3}cos(2x+3) ##
## \Rightarrow y= \frac{5}{D-1}cos(2x+3) ##

At this, if I revert back to write:
(D-1)y = 5cos(2x+3)
and so
y' - y = 5cos(2x+3)

Is this new equation entirely equivalent to the original one? No, I think not.

But if I continue with the operator method:
## \Rightarrow y= \frac{5(D+1)}{D^2-1}cos(2x+3) ##
## \Rightarrow y= \frac{5(D+1)}{-4-1}cos(2x+3) ##
## \Rightarrow y= -(D+1)cos(2x+3) ##
## \Rightarrow y= 2sin(2x+3) - cos(2x+3) ##

Which is correct.

Then what seems to be the problem here? Why can't I stop using the D-operator method and solve using other methods?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaguro said:
Homework Statement:: Find the particular integral of the following DE:
y'' + y' + 3y = 5cos(2x+3)
Relevant Equations:: The operator method.

I use the operator method here:
(D^2 + D+3)y = 5cos(2x+3)

## y = \frac{1}{D^2+D+3} 5cos(2x+3) ##
## \Rightarrow y= \frac{5}{-(2)^2+D+3}cos(2x+3) ##
I don't understand the above. Why did you replace ##D^2## with ##-(2)^2##, but not also replace D? Where did ##-(2)^2## come from?
Kaguro said:
## \Rightarrow y= \frac{5}{-4+D+3}cos(2x+3) ##
## \Rightarrow y= \frac{5}{D-1}cos(2x+3) ##

(D-1)y = 5cos(2x+3)
and so
y' - y = 5cos(2x+3)

Right, they are different.
Kaguro said:
But if I continue with the operator method:
## \Rightarrow y= \frac{5(D+1)}{D^2-1}cos(2x+3) ##
I don't understand this one, either. How did you come up with ##\frac{5(D+1)}{D^2-1}##?
Kaguro said:
## \Rightarrow y= \frac{5(D+1)}{-4-1}cos(2x+3) ##
## \Rightarrow y= -(D+1)cos(2x+3) ##
## \Rightarrow y= 2sin(2x+3) - cos(2x+3) ##

Which is correct.

Then what seems to be the problem here? Why can't I stop using the D-operator method and solve using other methods?

Likes Delta2 and etotheipi
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1802.09343
This paper describes the proofs of the operator method.

Well, this is how we work with trigonometric functions. This is called Eigenvalue substitution. The eigenvalue of D^2 operator on trig function cos(ax+b) is -a^2. So replace with that.

Mark44 said:
I don't understand this one, either. How did you come up with ##\frac{5 (D+1)}{D^2-1}##?

We had:
##\frac{5}{D-1}cos(2x+3)##
Just multiply and divide by (D+1).

I'm familiar with the annihilator method, which uses operators to solve linear differential equations, and have written a couple of Insights articles on this method - https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/solving-homogeneous-linear-odes-using-annihilators/ and https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/solving-nonhomogeneous-linear-odes-using-annihilators/. Problems similar to yours are discussed in the second article.
Kaguro said:
(D-1)y = 5cos(2x+3)
and so
y' - y = 5cos(2x+3)

No, it's not equivalent to the original differential equation, but it gives you a particular solution to it. IOW, it won't give you the general solution.
But, as your work shows, when you continue, you get a particular solution.

• Informative
Likes Kaguro and etotheipi
Kaguro said:
Well, this is how we work with trigonometric functions. This is called Eigenvalue substitution. The eigenvalue of D^2 operator on trig function cos(ax+b) is -a^2.
Another way to look at this, is that the operator ##(D^2 + a^2)## annihilates ##\cos(ax + b)##. In other words, ##(D^2 + a^2)[\cos(ax + b)] = D^2(\cos(ax + b)) + a^2(\cos(ax + b)) = 0##.

Likes Kaguro
Mark44 said:
I'm familiar with the annihilator method, which uses operators to solve linear differential equations, and have written a couple of Insights articles on this method - https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/solving-homogeneous-linear-odes-using-annihilators/ and https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/solving-nonhomogeneous-linear-odes-using-annihilators/. Problems similar to yours are discussed in the second article.
These articles proved extremely helpful to me. Thank you for suggesting me these.

Likes Mark44

Related to Mixed method of solving differential equations

1. What is the mixed method of solving differential equations?

The mixed method of solving differential equations is a combination of numerical and analytical techniques. It involves using both numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method, and analytical methods, such as separation of variables or integrating factors, to obtain a solution to a differential equation.

2. When is the mixed method of solving differential equations useful?

The mixed method is useful when a differential equation cannot be solved using only numerical or analytical methods. It is also helpful when a problem involves a combination of initial value and boundary value conditions.

3. What are the advantages of using the mixed method?

The mixed method allows for a more accurate and efficient solution to a differential equation by combining the strengths of both numerical and analytical methods. It also provides a way to check the accuracy of the solution obtained through either method alone.

4. Are there any limitations to the mixed method?

One limitation of the mixed method is that it requires more computational effort and can be more time-consuming compared to using only numerical or analytical methods. It also may not work for all types of differential equations, such as those with discontinuous or singular solutions.

5. How do I know when to use the mixed method?

The decision to use the mixed method depends on the specific problem at hand. If the differential equation cannot be solved using only numerical or analytical methods, or if it involves a combination of initial value and boundary value conditions, then the mixed method may be a good approach to consider. It is always helpful to consult with a mathematician or use a software program to determine the best method for solving a particular differential equation.