MIT Student Research Program

In summary, the speaker is applying for the MIT Student Research Program and has developed a mechanical mechanism for infinitely Variable Valve timing in reciprocating engines. The speaker has received positive feedback from a professor at the Indian Institute of Technology and has additional experience in rotary engines, comp. competitions, multimedia and web design, programming, and a strong interest in research. The speaker is also wondering if their knowledge in pulse detonation engines and gas turbines falls under mechanical engineering or aeronautical engineering.
sid_galt
I am applying for the MIT Student Research Program.

I have developed a mechanical mechanism for infinitely Variable Valve timing in reciprocating engines (which to the best of my knowledge no one has done so far. Electrical and hydraulic camless mechanisms exist but they are expensive. Mine is a mechanical method which uses cams although electricity is used for varying timing but the power consumption is far lower than the other two). I showed my work to a prof of mechanical engineering at Indian Institute of Technology (widely considered the best in India for engineering) and he said that it looked feasible though only experimentation would confirm it.
Plus I have done some research on rotary engines, won a few awards in comp. competitions, have done Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer course, bunch of multimedia and web design courses, c++ and java and have a good amount of knowledge on Aerodynamics, Reciprocating engines, Vector Calculus etc and an extremely strong interest in research especially in engines.

Do you think this will pull me through especially since I'm an international student?

PS:- Would Pulse Detonation engines and gas turbines come under Mech. engg or aeronautical engg.?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any comments?

I am impressed by your passion and dedication to research and your achievements in various fields. Your mechanical mechanism for infinitely variable valve timing in reciprocating engines sounds like a promising innovation and I am sure it would be a valuable addition to the MIT Student Research Program.

Your background in mechanical engineering, computer science, and aerodynamics will definitely be an asset in your research on engines. It is also encouraging that you have already received positive feedback from a professor at a prestigious institution like the Indian Institute of Technology.

As for your question about pulse detonation engines and gas turbines, they fall under both mechanical engineering and aeronautical engineering. These fields are often interrelated and it would depend on the specific focus of your research.

Being an international student should not hinder your chances of being accepted into the MIT Student Research Program. In fact, diversity and different perspectives are highly valued in scientific research. Your unique background and experiences could bring a fresh perspective to the program and contribute to the overall success of the research projects.

I wish you all the best in your application and hope to see you as a part of the MIT Student Research Program. Keep up the great work and continue to pursue your passion for research and innovation.

Related to MIT Student Research Program

What is the MIT Student Research Program?

The MIT Student Research Program is a program that allows undergraduate students to engage in research activities alongside faculty and graduate students at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

How can I participate in the MIT Student Research Program?

To participate in the MIT Student Research Program, you must be an undergraduate student at MIT and have a faculty sponsor who is willing to supervise your research project. You can also apply for funding through various programs and departments at MIT.

What types of research projects can I do through the MIT Student Research Program?

The MIT Student Research Program covers a wide range of disciplines, including engineering, science, humanities, and social sciences. Students can work on projects in areas such as renewable energy, artificial intelligence, biotechnology, urban studies, and more.

What are the benefits of participating in the MIT Student Research Program?

Participating in the MIT Student Research Program allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of interest, work closely with faculty and graduate students, and contribute to cutting-edge research. It also provides opportunities for networking, skill development, and potential publication or presentation of research findings.

Are there any requirements or deadlines for the MIT Student Research Program?

Yes, there are typically application deadlines for the MIT Student Research Program, which vary depending on the specific program or department. Additionally, students must maintain a good academic standing and meet any requirements set by their faculty sponsor in order to participate in the program.