MIT course number for abstract algebra

In summary, The MIT course number for Abstract Algebra is 18.701 and 18.702. It is listed on the MIT opencourseware website under Mathematics. The course uses the textbook Algebra by Michael Artin, which is highly recommended to buy. It is considered a sophomore algebra course at MIT, despite its appearance as a graduate course at other universities.
Benzoate
Anybody know the name of the MIT course number for Abstract Algebra . Is it even listed as a course on the MIT opencourseware website?

Physics news on Phys.org

algebra I, algebra II,

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/courses/index.htm#Mathematics

the course apparently used the text Algebra by michael artin however and the lecture notes on the site do not seem to form a good substitute for that text. i recommend buying the book. it is one of the books that is worth the price, especially if you get a good price on a used copy.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:

algebra I, algebra II,

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/courses/index.htm#Mathematics

the course apparently used the text Algebra by michael artin however and the lecture notes on the site do not seem to form a good substitute for that text. i recommend buying the book. it is one of the books that is worth the price, especially if you get a good price on a used copy.

they don't seem to have a intro to abstract algebra course.

that is their intro to abstract algebra. michael artin's book was written for the sophomore algebra course. one of my ex students took it there, and michael is a friend of mine, and i taught out of the book at UGA. at MIT that is the beginning course even if it looks like a grad course elsewhere.

Related to MIT course number for abstract algebra

1. What is the MIT course number for abstract algebra?

The MIT course number for abstract algebra is 18.701.

2. Is 18.701 a required course for mathematics majors at MIT?

Yes, 18.701 is a required course for mathematics majors at MIT. It is usually taken in the second year of undergraduate studies.

3. Can non-mathematics majors take 18.701 as an elective?

Yes, non-mathematics majors can take 18.701 as an elective course. However, it is recommended that students have a strong background in mathematics before enrolling in this course.

4. What topics are covered in 18.701?

18.701 covers fundamental concepts in abstract algebra, including groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces. It also delves into more advanced topics such as Galois theory and module theory.

5. Are there any prerequisites for taking 18.701?

The only prerequisite for 18.701 is a solid understanding of linear algebra and basic proof techniques. Some familiarity with calculus and discrete mathematics may also be helpful.