Missing coefficient for Series Solution for DE

In summary, a missing coefficient in a series solution for a differential equation is an unknown or unspecified term in the series expansion. To find the missing coefficient, a recurrence relation can be used by equating coefficients in the differential equation and series solution. The convergence of the series solution can be affected by an incorrect missing coefficient. However, it is not always necessary to determine the missing coefficient and other methods such as comparing to known solutions or using numerical methods can be used.
dietcookie
I can't for the life of me figure out where C[itex]_{0}[/itex] went. I scanned my work here..I've looked back and forth through my book and other texts, it always seems like all the coefficients are accounted for and/or they equal zero. As it stands, I only have C[itex]_{1}[/itex] Thanks!

Cuczul.jpg

Full size http://i.imgur.com/Cuczu.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that 2C2+C0 = 0, but by what logic did you deduce they're both 0?

Related to Missing coefficient for Series Solution for DE

1. What is a "missing coefficient" in a series solution for a differential equation?

A missing coefficient in a series solution for a differential equation refers to a term in the series expansion that is unknown or unspecified. This can occur when solving a differential equation using the power series method, where the coefficients of the series need to be determined through a recurrence relation.

2. How do I find the missing coefficient in a series solution for a differential equation?

To find the missing coefficient, you can use the recurrence relation that relates the coefficients of the series. This relation can be obtained by equating the coefficients of the same powers of the independent variable in the differential equation and the series solution. Solving this relation will give you the missing coefficient.

3. Can a missing coefficient affect the convergence of a series solution for a differential equation?

Yes, a missing coefficient can affect the convergence of a series solution for a differential equation. If the missing coefficient is not determined correctly, it can lead to a different solution or cause the series to diverge. Therefore, it is important to accurately find the missing coefficient to ensure the convergence of the series solution.

4. Is it always necessary to determine the missing coefficient in a series solution for a differential equation?

No, it is not always necessary to determine the missing coefficient. In some cases, the missing coefficient may be zero or may not affect the overall solution. However, it is important to check the convergence of the solution to ensure the accuracy of the series solution.

5. Can a missing coefficient be determined using other methods besides the recurrence relation?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to determine the missing coefficient in a series solution for a differential equation. For example, if the differential equation has known solutions, the missing coefficient can be found by comparing the series solution to the known solution. Alternatively, numerical methods can also be used to determine the missing coefficient.