Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Minors and Grad School

Chris11

Mar 20, 2012
Hey Guys. I was wondering if having a minor would be important for applying to graduate school in pure math. I realized about 2 months ago that if I want to keep a minor in my degree either: 1. I have to take six courses in the winter semester (2 upper math, 2upper physics, 1 2nd year stats course, a programing course); or 2. Stay an extra semester

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Hey Guys. I was wondering if having a minor would be important for applying to graduate school in pure math. I realized about 2 months ago that if I want to keep a minor in my degree either: 1. I have to take six courses in the winter semester (2 upper math, 2upper physics, 1 2nd year stats course, a programing course); or 2. Stay an extra semester
What is you major? (math?)
What would the minor be in?

Chris11

Mar 20, 2012
My major is math. My minor would be in physics.

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
My major is math. My minor would be in physics.
That could be an advantage as long as your grades are good. If you grades for your minor are poor, it wold always be a negative.

Chris11

Mar 20, 2012
Yeah. I just don't know if I would be able to do six courses in a semester without wanting to kill myself. I would love to take quantum mechanics, so that I could learn a little about how representation theory is applied, and general relativity because of diferential geometry. But, yeah. I don't know. Do you think that it would be a disadvantage to not have a minor?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah. I just don't know if I would be able to do six courses in a semester without wanting to kill myself. I would love to take quantum mechanics, so that I could learn a little about how representation theory is applied, and general relativity because of diferential geometry. But, yeah. I don't know. Do you think that it would be a disadvantage to not have a minor?
I don't see 6 classes a semester as that major. I graduate in 4 years with 167 credits. So instead of thinking of the disadvantages just attack the challenge head on.