Minoring in Physics, Majoring in Electrical Engineering

In summary: It would have been a lot of work and I don't think it would have been worth it. It would have been a lot of work and I don't think it would have been worth it.
LordWillO
Hi,

I am a Senior in High School taking a lot of STEM classes. So far, I have really enjyed my physics class and AP Chemistry. I am in the 80th percentile for math in my school, taking Precalculus at the college level (the highest my HS offers is AP Calculus). I am an Amateur Radio Operator and I have really grown to like the fact that you can take math and apply to interesting concepts like transformers and resonance. I intend to major in Electrical Engineering (I want to do RF) and I am going to either the Air Force Academy or Naval Academy, and or I am goinf to do AFROTC or NROTC at whatever college I get accepted to. My question is: should I attempt to minor in physics, or would it be too challenging, or would it not be useful for me? I especially like electrmagnetics. If you need more information, just ask; and sorry for the long post.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is certainly doable. People double major all of the time. Just make sure you get your Calculus, physics, and chemistry sequence finished ASAP because you don't want to miss out on taking the more in depth upper level classes for lack of a prerequisite, trust me I learned the hard way.

Given your interests and attitudes that seems like a completely reasonable major/minor combination.

I have multiple friends who majored in EE and minored in physics or vice versa.

G01 said:
Given your interests and attitudes that seems like a completely reasonable major/minor combination.

I have multiple friends who majored in EE and minored in physics or vice versa.

It depends on your university.

I originally majored in physics and switched to EE during undergrad. The number of required courses for upper-division EE at my university was too high to allow a minor or double major within 4 years. I'm not sure a minor is worth the additional time and expense.

Of course, if you go to a university with fewer required EE courses in the major, then go for it!

And I've never heard of a minor in Engineering. How brutal! What university was it?

carlgrace said:
It depends on your university.

I originally majored in physics and switched to EE during undergrad. The number of required courses for upper-division EE at my university was too high to allow a minor or double major within 4 years. I'm not sure a minor is worth the additional time and expense.

Of course, if you go to a university with fewer required EE courses in the major, then go for it!

And I've never heard of a minor in Engineering. How brutal! What university was it?

It's a small master's university on the east coast of the US. The EE program is small, but good. They shared some courses with the physics majors (like upper level E&M) hence the overlap. I agree that the EE minor is definitely the more brutal of the two options!

G01 said:
It's a small master's university on the east coast of the US. The EE program is small, but good. They shared some courses with the physics majors (like upper level E&M) hence the overlap. I agree that the EE minor is definitely the more brutal of the two options!

Ah, that makes sense.

We had our own EE-themed E&M and QM and Solid-State Physics courses. They didn't let you count them toward a physics minor so I dropped the idea.

Related to Minoring in Physics, Majoring in Electrical Engineering

1. What is the difference between majoring in Electrical Engineering and minoring in Physics?

Majoring in Electrical Engineering focuses primarily on the study of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, with a strong emphasis on practical applications and engineering design. On the other hand, minoring in Physics provides a broader understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. While both fields involve the study of electricity and electromagnetism, Electrical Engineering is more focused on its practical applications, while Physics delves deeper into the theoretical aspects.

2. How can minoring in Physics benefit someone majoring in Electrical Engineering?

Minoring in Physics can benefit someone majoring in Electrical Engineering in several ways. Firstly, it can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles that govern electricity and electromagnetism, which can enhance their problem-solving skills in their engineering courses. Secondly, it can provide a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical thinking, which is essential in both fields. Finally, it can open up opportunities for research and interdisciplinary collaboration, as many advanced technologies and engineering designs require a combination of knowledge from both fields.

3. Is minoring in Physics a good choice for someone who wants to pursue a career in Electrical Engineering?

Yes, minoring in Physics can be a beneficial choice for someone who wants to pursue a career in Electrical Engineering. As mentioned earlier, the knowledge and skills gained from minoring in Physics can complement and enhance their understanding of Electrical Engineering concepts. It can also make them stand out in the job market, as employers often value a diverse skill set and interdisciplinary knowledge in their employees.

4. Can someone minor in Physics and major in Electrical Engineering at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to minor in Physics and major in Electrical Engineering at the same time. However, it may require careful planning and time management, as both fields have a significant workload and may have overlapping classes. It is essential to consult with academic advisors to create a feasible plan that accommodates both majors and minors.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone with a minor in Physics and a major in Electrical Engineering?

There are various career paths for someone with a minor in Physics and a major in Electrical Engineering. Some common options include working in the fields of electrical design, power systems, telecommunications, and electronics. With a strong understanding of both fields, individuals can also pursue careers in research and development, where they can contribute to advancements in technology and innovation. Other potential career paths include consulting, teaching, and working in government agencies or national laboratories.