Minkowski vs deSitter: hyperbolic vs spherical?

In summary, there is confusion regarding the shape of matterless spacetime, with both hyperbolic and spherical descriptions being used. However, de Sitter space is a (3+1) 4-dimensional hypersurface in a 5-dimensional (4+1) Minkowski space, which can explain this duality. It is not a physical model, but rather a solution of the Einstein equations. In discussions of expanding spacetime, the Robertson-Walker-metric is usually referenced. However, the physical interpretation of de Sitter space remains relevant on a cosmic scale.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I am a bit confused over the shape of matterless spacetime:confused:: on one side Minkowski space is described as hyperbolic, and deSitter space is (hyper)spherical. Both are used, yet how can you have spacetime being both hyperbolic and spherical?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait. I just found the following from another thread:"de Sitter space is... a (3+1) 4-dimensional hypersurface in a 5-dimensional (4+1) Minkowski space." I think that answers my question, but this poses another, rather elementary question: in discussions of expanding spacetime, which one are we referring to?

De Sitter space is not a physical model. It is a solution of the Einstein equations but doesn't make much sense.
In discussions of expanding spacetime, we usually mean the Robertson-Walker-metric.

Thanks for the tip about the Robertson-Walker-metric. That gives me something to work through.
When you say that de Sitter space "doesn't make much sense", I presume you mean that its physical interpretation remains only useful on a cosmic scale.

Related to Minkowski vs deSitter: hyperbolic vs spherical?

1. What is the difference between Minkowski and deSitter spacetime?

Minkowski spacetime is a flat, four-dimensional spacetime that obeys special relativity. It has zero curvature and is often used to describe the motion of objects in the absence of gravity. On the other hand, deSitter spacetime is a curved, four-dimensional spacetime that obeys general relativity. It has positive curvature and is often used to describe the expansion of the universe.

2. How do Minkowski and deSitter spacetime differ in terms of geometry?

Minkowski spacetime has a hyperbolic geometry, which means that the angles of a triangle add up to less than 180 degrees. On the other hand, deSitter spacetime has a spherical geometry, which means that the angles of a triangle add up to more than 180 degrees.

3. Which spacetime is more commonly used in physics?

Minkowski spacetime is more commonly used in physics because it is simpler and easier to work with. It is also the basis for special relativity, which is a fundamental theory in physics. However, deSitter spacetime is also used in certain areas of physics, such as cosmology.

4. Can the two spacetimes be combined?

Yes, it is possible to combine Minkowski and deSitter spacetime to create a hybrid model known as Minkowski-deSitter spacetime. This model is often used in cosmology to describe the universe at different stages of its evolution.

5. How do Minkowski and deSitter spacetime affect the behavior of matter and energy?

Since Minkowski and deSitter spacetime have different geometries, they affect the behavior of matter and energy differently. In Minkowski spacetime, matter and energy follow straight lines and move at constant velocities. In deSitter spacetime, matter and energy are affected by the curvature of spacetime and may follow curved paths or accelerate due to the presence of gravity.