Grasping the Properties of Minkowski Space

In summary: M} \\& = \left[ {\begin{array}{l}1 & & v & \\0 & & -v & \\0 & & v^2 &\end{array}} \right]\end{align*}
Boon
I'm trying to get an intuitive feel for Minkowski space in the context of Special Relativity. I should mention that I have not studied (but hope to) the mathematics of topology, manifolds, curved spaced etc., but I'm loosely familiar with some of the basic concepts.

I understand that spacetime can be described using a 4-dimensional space with the metric signature (-,+,+,+), or equally (+,-,-,-). From what I have read Minkowski space is flat like Euclidean space (I believe the term is that that have the same topological structure?). Where then, lie the differences between Euclidean space and Minkowski space, apart from the metric?

Is the geometry of Minkowski space non-Euclidean? I would think it is due to its different metric structure (different notion of distance). What is this geometry?

The Lorentz transformations, i.e. rotations of one reference frame into another, involve the hyperbolic trigonometric functions. What does this mean for Minkowski space? Is it a hyperbolic space, or does it just have "some hyperbolic property"? What is this property exactly, that sets it apart from Euclidean space? I get the feeling here that circles are somehow replaced with hyperbolas in some Minkowskian context, but I can't put my finger on it.

Do all these properties arise simply by having a Lorentzian metric?

Some web searches brought up the following links. While they are helpful, they still leave me without a satisfactory grasp of the meat in Minkowski space.

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/76853/what-is-the-geometry-behind-special-relativity

http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...yperbolic-geometry-and-einsteins-special-rela

Physics news on Phys.org
Although it's possible to draw some connections between hyperbolic geometry and the geometry of Minkowski space, the connection is not that close. This is explained well in Michael Brown's comment on physics.SE. The math.SE answer IMO vastly exaggerates the connection.

Boon said:
I'm trying to get an intuitive feel for Minkowski space in the context of Special Relativity. I should mention that I have not studied (but hope to) the mathematics of topology, manifolds, curved spaced etc., but I'm loosely familiar with some of the basic concepts.
You don't need to know any of those things to understand the geometry of Minkowski space. Spacetime in SR has the trivial topology, and it's flat, so topology and curvature are basically irrelevant.

Boon said:
I understand that spacetime can be described using a 4-dimensional space with the metric signature (-,+,+,+), or equally (+,-,-,-). From what I have read Minkowski space is flat like Euclidean space (I believe the term is that that have the same topological structure?).
Topology is not the same as curvature. An example of a space with a different topology would be Euclidean space with a hole taken out of it.

Boon said:
Where then, lie the differences between Euclidean space and Minkowski space, apart from the metric?
The metric is the only fundamental difference.

Boon said:
Is the geometry of Minkowski space non-Euclidean? I would think it is due to its different metric structure (different notion of distance). What is this geometry?
Yes, it's non-euclidean. The geometry of Minkowski space is the geometry of Minkowski space. It isn't equivalent to some other geometry.

Boon said:
The Lorentz transformations, i.e. rotations of one reference frame into another, involve the hyperbolic trigonometric functions. What does this mean for Minkowski space? Is it a hyperbolic space, or does it just have "some hyperbolic property"? What is this property exactly, that sets it apart from Euclidean space? I get the feeling here that circles are somehow replaced with hyperbolas in some Minkowskian context, but I can't put my finger on it.
The Lorentz transformations can be expressed in terms of hyperbolic trig functions, but they don't have to be, and you seem to have been misled by the fact that they can. It doesn't indicate that the geometry is hyperbolic geometry or anything.

Boon said:
Do all these properties arise simply by having a Lorentzian metric?

Probably the best way to clear this up would be to read up on the Erlangen program: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlangen_program . Euclidean geometry is the geometry that keeps a circle invariant when you rotate. The geometry of 1+1-dimensional Minkowski space is the geometry that keeps the light cone invariant under a boost.

Thanks for your reply. It seems that I've misunderstood the nature of Minkowski space indeed. Regarding the Lorentz transformations - what other forms can they take? I'm only familiar with their representation as 4x4 square matrices that include elements which are hyperbolic trigonometric expressions. Are you saying that the appearance of these hyperbolic functions is just coincidental, in a sense?

Boon said:
Regarding the Lorentz transformations - what other forms can they take? I'm only familiar with their representation as 4x4 square matrices that include elements which are hyperbolic trigonometric expressions.

Note that if ##\tanh{\theta}=v## as is the usual case, then ##\sinh{\theta}=\gamma v## and ##\cosh{\theta}=\gamma## where ##\gamma \equiv (1-v^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}}##.

Make these substitutions in the matrix and you have the transformation in a form that contains no hyperbolic trig functions.

Likes bcrowell
Mister T said:
Note that if ##\tanh{\theta}=v## as is the usual case, then ##\sinh{\theta}=\gamma v## and ##\cosh{\theta}=\gamma## where ##\gamma \equiv (1-v^2)^{-\frac{1}{2}}##.

Make these substitutions in the matrix and you have the transformation in a form that contains no hyperbolic trig functions.

You can make an analogous substitution in a Euclidean rotation matrix in order to express everything as a slope instead of circular trig functions.

However, in both cases, there is an angle measure which additive ... unlike the velocity or slope.

Related to Grasping the Properties of Minkowski Space

1. What is Minkowski space?

Minkowski space is a mathematical concept developed by physicist Hermann Minkowski to describe the four-dimensional spacetime continuum in which the laws of special relativity hold.

2. What are the properties of Minkowski space?

Minkowski space has four dimensions, three of which represent space and one representing time. It is a flat spacetime, meaning that the curvature is zero, and it follows the laws of special relativity, including the principle of causality.

3. How is Minkowski space different from Euclidean space?

Minkowski space differs from Euclidean space in that it incorporates the concept of time as a fourth dimension, while Euclidean space only has three dimensions of space. Additionally, Minkowski space follows the principles of special relativity, while Euclidean space follows the laws of classical physics.

4. What is the significance of Minkowski space in physics?

Minkowski space is significant in physics because it provided a new way of understanding the relationship between space and time, which was crucial for the development of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also forms the basis for many other theories, such as quantum field theory and string theory.

5. How is Minkowski space used in practical applications?

Minkowski space is used in practical applications such as GPS technology, which relies on the principles of special relativity to accurately calculate the position and time of objects on Earth. It is also used in particle physics and cosmology to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and the universe as a whole.