Minimun angular velocity for a wheel to maintain contact with a plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rotating axes and the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in a rotating system. Point A is the origin of the stationary axis and the moving axes would be at the center of the moving disk at point C. The equations for the angular velocity of the small disk are w = -RΩ/r i + Ω j, and the small wheel will always touch the plate as it is directly attached to the main shaft. The equations (a) Ω = √(g/a) and (b) Ω = √(2g/a) are not related to the small wheel touching the plate, but rather the equations for the angular velocity of a pendulum.
samee
I guess point A is the origin of my stationary axis, with Y going up along AB, then X going along AC. My moving axes would be at the center of the moving disk at point C.

So, the w of the small disk is induced by the Ω of the main shaft along AB. If the radius of the small wheel is r, then w=-R/rΩi+Ωj

because; V(D)=RΩ from the main shaft. V(D)=rw2 from the disk, but V(D)=V(D), so rw2=RΩ and w2=RΩ/r

okay!

This is all well and good, but shouldn't the small wheel touch the plate no matter what it's angular velocity? The answers are (a) Ω=√(g/a), and (b) Ω=√(2g/a) so I guess there is an answer that I'm just not understanding...

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concept of rotating axes and the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity in a rotating system. However, I would like to clarify a few points for you.

Firstly, point A is indeed the origin of your stationary axis, but we typically label the axes as X and Y, rather than AB and AC. This is just a convention and does not affect the calculations or understanding of the system.

Secondly, your moving axes would indeed be at the center of the moving disk at point C, as you correctly stated. This is because the center of the disk is the point of rotation and therefore has an angular velocity of Ω.

Moving on to the equations, you are correct in stating that the angular velocity of the small disk is induced by the angular velocity of the main shaft along AB. However, the equation w = -R/rΩi + Ωj is not entirely accurate. The correct expression for the angular velocity of the small disk, w, would be w = -RΩ/r i + Ω j. This is because the angular velocity is a vector quantity and needs to include both magnitude and direction. The negative sign in front of RΩ/r is to account for the opposite direction of rotation between the main shaft and the small disk.

As for your question about the small wheel touching the plate, it is true that the small wheel will always touch the plate, regardless of its angular velocity. This is because the small wheel is directly attached to the main shaft and therefore has the same angular velocity as the main shaft. The equations you mentioned, (a) Ω = √(g/a) and (b) Ω = √(2g/a), are not related to the small wheel touching the plate. These equations are actually the equations for the angular velocity of a pendulum, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and a is the length of the pendulum arm.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. If you have any further questions or would like to discuss this topic further, please don't hesitate to reach out. Keep up the good work!

Related to Minimun angular velocity for a wheel to maintain contact with a plate

1. What is the minimum angular velocity for a wheel to maintain contact with a plate?

The minimum angular velocity for a wheel to maintain contact with a plate is determined by the coefficient of static friction between the wheel and the plate, as well as the radius of the wheel. This minimum velocity can be calculated using the equation v = sqrt(gr), where v is the minimum angular velocity, g is the gravitational constant, and r is the radius of the wheel.

2. How does the coefficient of static friction affect the minimum angular velocity?

The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the frictional force between two surfaces in contact. As this coefficient increases, the minimum angular velocity needed for the wheel to maintain contact with the plate also increases. This is because a higher coefficient of friction means that more force is required to keep the wheel from slipping off the plate.

3. Can the minimum angular velocity change for different types of wheels or plates?

Yes, the minimum angular velocity can vary depending on the materials and surface textures of the wheel and plate. For example, a wheel with a smooth surface may require a higher minimum angular velocity compared to a wheel with a rough surface. Similarly, a plate with a rough surface may require a lower minimum angular velocity compared to a smooth plate.

4. What happens if the angular velocity is below the minimum required?

If the angular velocity of the wheel is below the minimum required, the wheel will lose contact with the plate and start to slip. This can cause the wheel to lose traction and potentially lead to accidents or damage to the wheel or plate.

5. How can the minimum angular velocity be increased?

The minimum angular velocity can be increased by increasing the coefficient of static friction between the wheel and plate, or by reducing the radius of the wheel. Additionally, having a rougher surface on either the wheel or plate can also increase the minimum angular velocity needed for the wheel to maintain contact.