Spinning disk, friction and pure roll

In summary, the disk rotates at an angular speed ωi about an axis through its center. It is set into contact with a horizontal surface and immediately released. Pure rolling motion begins after a time interval of τ. The disk travels a distance Rωi before pure rolling motion begins.
CrunchBerries

Homework Statement

[/B]
A uniform solid disk of radius R is set into rotation with an angular speed ωi about an axis through its center. While still rotating at this speed, the disk is placed into contact with a horizontal surface and immediately released as shown in figure below (a) What is the angular speed of the disk once pure rolling takes place? (b) Find the fractional change in kinetic energy from the moment the disk is set down until pure rolling occurs. (c) Assume the coefficient of friction between disk and surface is μ. What is the time interval after setting the disk down before pure rolling motion begins? (d) How far does the disk travel before pure rolling begins?

Homework Equations

τ = r x ΣF = ΣIα
L = Iω
ΔKr = 1/2Iω^2
I = 1/2mR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The full solution is in the manual;

[1] μmg = ma = m (v-0) / t

[2] μmgt = mv

[3] -μmgR = Iα = (1/2mR^2) (ω-ωi) / t

[4] -μmgRt = 1/2mR^2ω - 1/2mR^2ωi -> [5] Rωi - 2μgt = Rω

[6] Rωi - 2v = Rω -> Rωi - 2Rω = Rω -> ω = ωi / 3

My questions:

At first I tried an energy approach with Krot and Ufriction turning into Krot and Ktrans. My solution differed quite a bit from the textbook solution. However, I do have questions about the solution itself;

In [1], why is there (v - 0) ? v is never zero during that transition, only a = 0 when v reaches μs. Correct? I think they mean v = at -> a = v / t in general? Maybe zero is the speed of the surface?

In [3] the sign turns negative. I am guessing it is because they mean τ = R x -μmg opposes the rotation of the wheel? And the rotation of the wheel's effective torque Iα is acting the other way?

In [3] α is replaced with (ω - ωi) / t in the same manner as in [1], but this time there is a ωi unlike [1].

The rest of the entire problem is straightforward.I just really want to find a way to understand this problem properly. I have spent at least two hours running through concepts in my head, drawings and scribbles..

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

CrunchBerries said:
In [1], why is there (v - 0) ? v is never zero during that transition, only a = 0 when v reaches μs. Correct?
v represents the velocity of the center of mass of the wheel. What is the value of v at the initial instant when the wheel is released?

In [3] the sign turns negative. I am guessing it is because they mean τ = R x -μmg opposes the rotation of the wheel? And the rotation of the wheel's effective torque Iα is acting the other way?
Yes. A free body diagram of the wheel should make this clear.

In [3] α is replaced with (ω - ωi) / t in the same manner as in [1], but this time there is a ωi unlike [1].
Hopefully, the comments regarding [1] will clear this up.

Likes CrunchBerries
*SLAPS FOREHEAD*

I need more coffee.

Thank you for taking your time, I appreciate it! I feel better now hahaha..

1. What is the difference between spinning disk and friction?

Spinning disk refers to a rotating object, such as a disk-shaped wheel, while friction is the force that resists the motion of an object against another surface. In other words, spinning disk involves circular motion, while friction involves resistance to that motion.

2. What is pure roll and how is it related to spinning disk?

Pure roll is a type of motion where a spinning object, such as a disk, moves in a straight line without slipping or sliding. This is often seen in objects with circular or spherical shapes, such as wheels. In spinning disk, pure roll occurs when the disk's point of contact with the ground is stationary.

3. How does friction affect pure roll?

Friction plays a crucial role in maintaining pure roll in a spinning disk. Without friction, the disk would slide or slip instead of rolling, which would result in a different type of motion. Friction allows the disk's point of contact with the ground to remain stationary, allowing for pure roll to occur.

4. Can pure roll occur on any surface?

No, pure roll can only occur on surfaces that provide enough friction to prevent slipping or sliding. For example, a smooth ice surface would not allow for pure roll to occur, as there is not enough friction to keep the object from slipping.

5. How is pure roll related to the conservation of energy?

Pure roll is related to the conservation of energy because it is a type of motion that does not involve any loss of energy due to friction. In other words, the object's kinetic energy is conserved, as there is no loss of energy to overcome friction. This makes pure roll an efficient form of motion.