Minimum Value of Particle in Space

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time at which the speed of a particle, described by its position function, has its minimum value. The process involves taking the derivative and finding the speed, then setting it equal to zero to find the critical points. However, it is clarified that setting the speed to zero will actually minimize the position, not the speed. Instead, the formula for the speed is used to find the minimum value by finding the critical points of the function.
mill

Homework Statement

At what time t does the speed of the particle moving in space with its position function r(t)=##<t^2, 3t, t^2 - 8t>## have its minimum value?

Homework Equations

Derivative, speed

The Attempt at a Solution

Found derivative.
r'=<2t, 3, 2t-8>
Found speed.
|r'|=##\sqrt {4t^2 + 9 + (2t -8)^2}##
simplified

set speed to 0

##4t^2 + 9 = -(2t-8)^2##
##9=-(t^4 - 12t^2 +64)##
##-55=-t^2 (t^2 +12)##

The answers I'm getting from this setup are really off. I'm not sure where I am going wrong. t=sqrt(55) or sqrt(67)...but the answer is t=2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mill said:
|r'|=√(4t2 + 9 + (t2 -8)2)
You have the 2 in the wrong place there.

set speed to 0

You do not want to set the speed to zero. What should you be setting to zero?

CAF123 said:
You have the 2 in the wrong place there.

You do not want to set the speed to zero. What should you be setting to zero?

Fixed the two typo. Everything following is the same though.

I set the equation to 0 in order to find the min. or is that not what I'm supposed to do?

mill said:
Fixed the two typo. Everything following is the same though.
It should not be, because you will no longer get a quartic in t.

I set the equation to 0 in order to find the min. or is that not what I'm supposed to do?
You want to find the value of t at which the speed is minimized. You have an expression for the speed of the particle at any time t. What should you do with this expression to obtain its minimum?

CAF123 said:
It should not be, because you will no longer get a quartic in t.You want to find the value of t at which the speed is minimized. You have an expression for the speed of the particle at any time t. What should you do with this expression to obtain its minimum?

It's not covered by example in my books, so I was confused about the setup. While looking around, I've seen |r''| and |r'|^2 being thrown around in these types of problems but I'm not sure how they're being used. Ideally to minimize, I would set the chosen equation to 0 to find the critical points. If I can't set |v| to 0 what do I set it to?

What you have found is $$\left|\frac{\text{d}\vec r}{\text{d} t}\right| = |\vec v | = f(t).$$ By setting this to zero, you are minimizing r not v. So to minimize v, you should...?

mill said:
It's not covered by example in my books, so I was confused about the setup. While looking around, I've seen |r''| and |r'|^2 being thrown around in these types of problems but I'm not sure how they're being used. Ideally to minimize, I would set the chosen equation to 0 to find the critical points. If I can't set |v| to 0 what do I set it to?

So, you have not covered problems of maximizing or minimizing functions such as ##s(t) \equiv |r'(t)|?## Forget about ##r''## or whatever; just look at the function ##s(t)##---you have a formula for it in terms of ##t##, and that's all you need.

mill said:
What do you do to find the minimum or maximum of any function in general, in this case a function for which time, t, is the independent variable?

Related to Minimum Value of Particle in Space

1. What is the minimum value of a particle in space?

The minimum value of a particle in space is known as Planck's constant, which has a value of 6.62607015 × 10^-34 joule seconds. This constant is a fundamental quantity in quantum mechanics and represents the smallest possible energy that a particle can have.

2. How was the minimum value of a particle in space determined?

The minimum value of a particle in space was determined through experiments and calculations based on the principles of quantum mechanics. In the early 20th century, scientists such as Max Planck and Albert Einstein proposed the concept of quantization, which states that energy is not continuous but is instead made up of discrete packets or quanta. This led to the development of Planck's constant as a fundamental constant in physics.

3. Can particles in space have energy values lower than the minimum value?

No, particles in space cannot have energy values lower than the minimum value represented by Planck's constant. This is because energy is quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete amounts and cannot be divided into smaller units. Therefore, the minimum value of a particle in space is the smallest possible energy that a particle can have.

4. Does the minimum value of a particle in space change?

No, the minimum value of a particle in space, represented by Planck's constant, does not change. This constant is a fundamental property of the universe, and its value remains constant regardless of the location or properties of the particle. However, the energy of a particle can change as it interacts with other particles or fields in space.

5. How does the minimum value of a particle in space relate to the uncertainty principle?

The minimum value of a particle in space is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because the minimum value of a particle's energy is inversely proportional to the uncertainty in its position. The smaller the energy of a particle, the greater the uncertainty in its position, and vice versa.