Minimum energy a proton must have to penetrate

In summary, the minimum energy needed for a proton to penetrate 30 cm of tissue is 171.34 MeV, derived from the formula R=0.01E^{1.8}.
cconradi
Minimum energy a proton must have to penetrate...

Homework Statement

Determine the minimum energy that a proton must have to penetrate 30 cm of tissue, the approximate thickness of the human body.

Homework Equations

I used R=[(E/9.29)^1.8]1.11x10^-3 but I'm not sure if this is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

R=[(E/9.29)^1.8]1.11x10^-3
30 cm=3 mm

3mm=[(E/9.29)^1.8]1.11x10^-3, then I divided by 1.11x10^-3 to get 27027.70mm=(E/9.29)^1.8
Then I took a root to the 1.8 power and got 80.64mm=E/9.29
I then multiplied by 9.29 to get 749 mEV.

Seems a bit high. Wasn't sure about units or if I even used the correct formula?
Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your attempt at solving this problem is on the right track, but there are a few errors that need to be corrected.

Firstly, the formula you used is not the correct one for determining the minimum energy needed for a proton to penetrate a certain thickness of tissue. The correct formula is R=0.01E^{1.8}, where R is the range of the proton in tissue in centimeters and E is the energy of the proton in MeV. This formula is derived from the Bethe-Bloch equation, which describes the energy loss of a charged particle in a material.

Secondly, when you converted the thickness of 30 cm to millimeters, you made a mistake. 30 cm is equal to 300 mm, not 3 mm. This mistake caused your final answer to be much too high.

Lastly, when you took the root to the 1.8 power, you should have gotten R^{1/1.8}=E, not R^{1.8}=E. This is a minor error, but it will affect your final answer.

So, to solve this problem correctly, we can follow these steps:

1. Convert the thickness of 30 cm to millimeters. This gives us 300 mm.

2. Plug this value into the formula R=0.01E^{1.8} and solve for E:

300 mm=0.01E^{1.8}
Divide both sides by 0.01:
30000= E^{1.8}
Take the root to the 1.8 power:
(30000)^{1/1.8}=E
E= 171.34 MeV.

So, the minimum energy a proton must have to penetrate 30 cm of tissue is 171.34 MeV. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Minimum energy a proton must have to penetrate

1. What is the minimum energy a proton must have to penetrate a material?

The minimum energy required for a proton to penetrate a material depends on the properties of the material, such as its density and thickness. Generally, the higher the density and thickness of the material, the more energy is needed for a proton to penetrate it.

2. How is the minimum energy of a proton calculated?

The minimum energy of a proton is calculated using the Bethe-Bloch formula, which takes into account the energy loss of the proton as it passes through the material. This formula considers the density, thickness, and atomic number of the material, as well as the energy and mass of the proton.

3. Why is the minimum energy of a proton important?

The minimum energy of a proton is important because it determines whether or not the proton can penetrate a material and interact with the atoms within it. This is crucial for understanding the effects of radiation on living organisms and for developing radiation shielding materials.

4. How does the minimum energy of a proton differ from other particles?

The minimum energy of a proton is different from other particles, such as electrons or neutrons, because it has a different mass and charge. These properties affect how the proton interacts with atoms and how much energy is needed for it to penetrate a material.

5. Can the minimum energy of a proton be changed?

Yes, the minimum energy of a proton can be changed by altering the properties of the material it is passing through. For example, increasing the density or thickness of the material will require more energy for the proton to penetrate it. Additionally, external factors such as an electric or magnetic field can also affect the minimum energy of a proton.