Condition for stable equlibrium

In summary: Then, for equilibrium, the first derivative is zero, and the second derivative is >0. The first derivative is zero at R = 0 and at tanθ = -1/2, so at R = 2 cm. The second derivative is 0 as well there (and in fact everywhere if my h formula is correct).In summary, the problem asks to find the minimum radius of a semicircular cylinder on which a wooden bar can be balanced in stable equilibrium. This can be solved by expressing the potential energy of the bar in terms of the radius and finding the minimum radius that satisfies the conditions for stable equilibrium. The length and width of the bar are irrelevant for this problem.
RajarshiB91

Homework Statement

A homogeneous wooden bar of length 10 cm, thickness 4 cm and weight 1 Kg is balanced
on the top of a semicircular cylinder of radius R as shown below. Calculate the
minimum radius of the semicircular cylinder if the wooden bar is at stable equilibrium.
?temp_hash=ff5d8793a573727d0f3d7c73d119c317.jpg

Homework Equations

Potential energy E=mgh and its derivatives.

The Attempt at a Solution

Stable equilibrium means the first derivative of potential energy is zero and its second derivative must be greater than zero(local minima). So, I have to express the PE of the wooden bar in terms of R and find minimum R to satisfy above conditions. But here the CM of the bar is at R+(4/2)=R+2 cm above the ground. So, second derivative of PE is always 0? Where am I going wrong? Also, how to approach problems like these in general? I had read about equilibrium a long time back and the concepts are a bit muddled up.

Attachments

• Diagram2.jpg
    Diagram2.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
The CM doesn't stay at R+2 if the beam is wiggled !

Likes RajarshiB91
BvU said:
The CM doesn't stay at R+2 if the beam is wiggled !
Thanks BvU. Yes, I googled similar problems and understood what needs to be done. By displacing the block by θ I calculate the new CM height which comes out to be
h=Rcosθ+Rθsinθ+2cosθ
Now, it is just differentiating twice. So, for equilibrium, is the width of the block(10 cm) irrelevant? I didn't find it's use in the height equation or am I missing something?

Ah, you mean the length :smile: !

Didn't work out h myself, and you don't show the steps, so I can't really tell. Suppose you're right.

Related to Condition for stable equlibrium

1. What is the definition of "stable equilibrium"?

Stable equilibrium refers to a state where a system or object remains in balance and does not move away from its original position when it is disturbed by external forces.

2. How do you determine the condition for stable equilibrium?

The condition for stable equilibrium can be determined by analyzing the forces acting on the system or object. If the sum of all forces is equal to zero and the system or object is in a state of rest, then it is in stable equilibrium.

3. What are the factors that affect the stability of an equilibrium?

The stability of an equilibrium is affected by factors such as the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the system or object, the shape and size of the object, and the position of the center of mass.

4. Can a system or object be in stable equilibrium if it is constantly changing?

No, a system or object cannot be in stable equilibrium if it is constantly changing. Stable equilibrium requires that the system or object remains in a state of rest without any external forces acting on it.

5. How does the concept of stable equilibrium apply in different fields of science?

The concept of stable equilibrium is applicable in various fields of science such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It helps in understanding the behavior and stability of different systems and objects, from atoms and molecules to complex structures and ecosystems.