Minimum distance of a point on a line from the origin?

In summary: Hi there!The function 1-y² is decreassing, so for y=1 we have the maximum of d², not the minimum.When looking for max/min of a function on an interval, you need to compare the values at the critical points (i.e. the points where derivative is 0 or does not exist) and at the endpoints.
hivesaeed4
Consider the graph of $${x^2 + 2 y^2 = 1}$$.

What is the minimum distance of a point on the graph to the origin?

When I calculated the point which has minimum distance from origin it came out to be (1,0) implying the min distance to be 1. The answer is 1/2. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi !
Show your calcul in whole details. So, it will be possible to locate the mistake.

Okay.
We're given x^2+2*y^2=1.
so x^2=1-2y^2

now using distance formula
d^2=x^2+y^2
since x^2=1-2y^2, substituting it in the distance formula we get:
d^2=1-2y^2+y^2=1-y^2;
differentiating and then setting the eq to 0 we get;
0=-4y
or y=0. now x^2=1-2y^2=1
so x=+-1
so point having min distance form origin is (+-1,0)

using the distance formula now
d^2=x^2+y^2
d=sqrt(1+0)=1

Your computation is correct, but there is a snag :
If the derivative of a function is 0, then the function is minimum or maximum.
The function 1-y² is decreassing, so for y=1 we have the maximum of d², not the minimum.
(1-y²) is the smallest for the heighest value of y². Since x²+2y²=1, the highest value is y²=1/2. Finally, the smallest d=sqrt(1/2) is obtained at (x=0, y=sqrt(1/2))

Less confusing, d² = x²+y² = x²+(1-x²)/2 = (1/2)+(x²/2)
The function of x is increassing. The derivative leads to x=0 and the function is minimum at the point (x=0, y=sqrt(1/2)).

Okay I get the second part but still don't get the first part.

Let's talk about the second part first. You defined x in terms of y and then solved. I defined y in terms of x. Since your answer is smaller then mine so it's logical that your correct. Now does htat mean that everytime I have to do each question twice i.e. first x interms of y and then y interms of x. And if both your and mine methods are correct should'nt both answers be same.

Now could you explain the first part in greater detail. I could'nt understand the following line:

The function 1-y² is decreassing, so for y=1 we have the maximum of d², not the minimum.
If y=1; d^2=1-(1)^2=0
So how is that the max of d^2?

hivesaeed4 said:
If y=1; d^2=1-(1)^2=0
So how is that the max of d^2?

Think of this : no point exists on the curve x²+2y²=1 with y=1.
So you cannot write : d²=1-(1)²=0. The distance between the origin and a non-existing point of the curve is a nonsense.
Just draw the curve and see what is the range of y for really existing points.

Last edited:
Ok I get it now. Thanks.

that is obviously an ellipse, with top and bottom at (0,±1/sqrt(2)) and right hand endpoint at (±1,0).

Thus there are 4 critical points for the distance function, namely the two points furthest away and the two points nearest the origin.

Hi hivesaeed4

Your calculations are correct, but you missed one detail.

When looking for max/min of a function on an interval, you need to compare the values at the critical points (i.e. the points where derivative is 0 or does not exist) and at the endpoints.

In your computations you forget to check endpoints [itex]y=\pm 1/\sqrt2[/itex], and each endpoint give you [itex]d^2=1/2<1[/itex]. So the minimal distance is [itex] 1/\sqrt2[/itex].

Okay. But I've noticed in mathwonk's post that 4 critical points are taken into account. Does that mean the error I made was checking only two endpoints, instead of all four for the min/max values of the function?

Does it also mean that for a given function whose min and/or max values are to be calculated, we should first find it's possible critical points and then use distance formula for each critical point?

heres another point of view. the function x^2 + 2y^2 has gradient (2x, 4y). Look for points of the ellipse where the radius vector is parallel to this gradient.

I.e. look for solutions (x,y) of x^2 + 2y^2, where (x,y) is parallel to (2x,4y). But these are never parallel unless either x or y = 0. there are 4 such points.

Related to Minimum distance of a point on a line from the origin?

What is the minimum distance between a point and the origin on a line?

The minimum distance between a point on a line and the origin is the shortest perpendicular distance between the point and the origin.

How is the minimum distance between a point and the origin on a line calculated?

The minimum distance can be calculated using the formula d = |ax + by + c| / √(a^2 + b^2), where (x,y) is the coordinates of the point and the line is represented by the equation ax + by + c = 0.

Can the minimum distance between a point and the origin on a line be negative?

No, the minimum distance is always a positive value as it is the absolute value of the perpendicular distance.

Is the minimum distance between a point and the origin on a line affected by the position of the point on the line?

No, the minimum distance remains the same regardless of the position of the point on the line. It only depends on the equation of the line and the coordinates of the point.

How does the minimum distance between a point and the origin on a line change if the line is rotated or translated?

The minimum distance will change if the line is rotated or translated, as the equation of the line will change. However, the minimum distance can still be calculated using the new equation of the line and the coordinates of the point.