Minimum area of a triangle with fixed incircle

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum area of an isosceles triangle with height x and a fixed incircle of radius R. It is solved by expressing the area in terms of x and differentiating to find where the derivative is zero. By using triangle similarity, it is determined that the minimum area occurs when x = 3R.
Referos

Homework Statement

Consider an isosceles triangles with height x and a fixed incircle of radius R. Show that the minimum area of such triangle occurs when x = 3R

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know that have to express the area of the triangle in terms of x, then differentiate with respect to x and find where the derivative is zero, and then check whether it's a minimum or maximum. My problem is mostly with the geometric part of the problem. Since I have the height x, I suppose that I need to find the base in terms of x, since area = 1/2 * base * height.
The only thing I've managed to do is drawing a line from the center of the incircle to one of the points of tangent; this gives a right triangle with a cathetus equal to R and a hyponetuse equal to x - R. I've tried finding similar triangles but it didn't work so well.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Denote the 3 vertices of the isosceles triangle by A, B, and C, with sides AB and BC having the same length.
Drop a perpendicular from B to AC, and denote the point of intersection by D. Note that we have BD = x.
We shall label the centre of the incircle as O, and shall drop another perpendicular from O to AB. The foot of the perpendicular shall be denoted by E. I believe you're right in saying that OE = R and OB = x - R.
Here's how I suggest you proceed : Observe that the right-angled triangles ABD and OBE are similar. (Why?) Use this fact to express AD in terms of R and x. Determining the area of the triangle ABC should now be easy.

Ah, thanks, I managed to find the area with your "hint". I didn't see that triangle similarity before. From there, differentiating was simple.

Related to Minimum area of a triangle with fixed incircle

1. What is the minimum area of a triangle with a fixed incircle?

The minimum area of a triangle with a fixed incircle is equal to the radius of the incircle squared, multiplied by the constant value of pi.

2. How is the minimum area of a triangle with a fixed incircle calculated?

The minimum area of a triangle with a fixed incircle can be calculated using the formula A = r^2 * pi, where A is the minimum area, r is the radius of the incircle, and pi is the constant value of pi (approximately 3.14).

3. Can the minimum area of a triangle with a fixed incircle be less than 0?

No, the minimum area of a triangle with a fixed incircle cannot be less than 0. This is because the radius of the incircle must be a positive value, and squaring a positive number always results in a positive value.

4. How does the size of the incircle affect the minimum area of a triangle?

The size of the incircle directly affects the minimum area of a triangle. As the radius of the incircle increases, the minimum area of the triangle also increases. Conversely, as the radius of the incircle decreases, the minimum area of the triangle decreases.

5. What is the significance of calculating the minimum area of a triangle with a fixed incircle?

Calculating the minimum area of a triangle with a fixed incircle can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications. It can help in optimizing the use of materials in construction, designing efficient and stable structures, and understanding the relationships between different geometric shapes.