Minimize r/(sqrt(2)) Distance from (2r, 0) & (0, 2r)

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Max
In summary, the point above the circle that minimizes the required expression is the point on the circle that is the distance from $(2r,0)$ and $(0,2r)$ to the origin divided by the square of that distance.
leprofece
find a point above the circle: x2 + y2 = r2 so that the sum of the squares of their distances to points (2r, 0) and (0, 2r) it is the smallest

answer (r/(sqrt(2)), r/(sqrt(2)) )

according to the problem
after elevating to the square
(x-2r)2+y2 +x2+(y-2r)2

Solving
2(x)2-4rx-8ry+2y2

now y2= r-x2

introducing in one and derivating i don't get the answer
because 8 ry must be 8r( sqrt r-x2)

Physics news on Phys.org
leprofece said:
find a point above the circle: x2 + y2 = r2 so that the sum of the squares of their distances to points (2r, 0) and (0, 2r) it is the smallest

answer (r/(sqrt(2)), r/(sqrt(2)) )
Why not $(r,r)$?

leprofece said:
(x-2r)2+y2 +x2+(y-2r)2

Solving
2(x)2-4rx-8ry+2y2
Why is this expression not symmetric w.r.t. $x$ and $y$?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Why not $(r,r)$?

Why is this expression not symmetric w.r.t. $x$ and $y$?

I don't know this is my thinking maybe it is easier for you another way

You wrote, "Find a point above the circle", but the supposed answer is a point on the circle. Since the segment connecting $(2r,0)$ and $(0,2r)$ does not intersect the circle, the middle of this segment is the point that minimizes the required expression.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You wrote, "Find a point above the circle", but the supposed answer is a point on the circle. Since the segment connecting $(2r,0)$ and $(0,2r)$ does not intersect the circle, the middle of this segment is the point that minimizes the required expression.

yEAH IT IS on NOT ABOVE

leprofece said:
(x-2r)2+y2 +x2+(y-2r)2

Solving
2(x)2-4rx-8ry+2y2
This expression should be
\[
2x^2+2y^2-4r(x+y)
\]
As I said, it is symmetric with respect to $x$ and $y$. Since $x^2+y^2=r^2$, it can be rewritten as $2r^2-4r(x+y)$. Minimizing it is equivalent to maximizing $x+y$. One thing that comes to mind is representing this as $\cos\varphi+\sin\varphi$ where $0\le\varphi<2\pi$. Differentiating this with respect to $\varphi$ and equating to 0, we get $-\sin\varphi+\cos\varphi=0$, or $\tan\varphi=1$, which means $\varphi=\pi/4$ or $\varphi=5\pi/4$. In both cases, $x=y$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
This expression should be
\[
2x^2+2y^2-4r(x+y)
\]
As I said, it is symmetric with respect to $x$ and $y$. Since $x^2+y^2=r^2$, it can be rewritten as $2r^2-4r(x+y)$. Minimizing it is equivalent to maximizing $x+y$. One thing that comes to mind is representing this as $\cos\varphi+\sin\varphi$ where $0\le\varphi<2\pi$. Differentiating this with respect to $\varphi$ and equating to 0, we get $-\sin\varphi+\cos\varphi=0$, or $\tan\varphi=1$, which means $\varphi=\pi/4$ or $\varphi=5\pi/4$. In both cases, $x=y$.

in my book appears I´d really appreciatte that
or I really appreciatte that then

Related to Minimize r/(sqrt(2)) Distance from (2r, 0) & (0, 2r)

1. What is the meaning of "Minimize r/(sqrt(2)) Distance from (2r, 0) & (0, 2r)"?

The phrase "Minimize r/(sqrt(2)) Distance from (2r, 0) & (0, 2r)" refers to a mathematical problem where the goal is to find the shortest distance between two points, specifically between the points (2r, 0) and (0, 2r), while taking into account the variable r. The "r/(sqrt(2))" part of the equation represents the distance formula for a diagonal line, and the problem is asking for the minimum value of this formula.

2. Why is it important to minimize the distance between these two points?

Minimizing the distance between two points is important for various reasons. In mathematics, it helps to find the shortest path between two points, which is useful in optimization problems. In real-life applications, minimizing distance can lead to more efficient and cost-effective solutions, such as finding the shortest route for a delivery truck or the most direct flight path for an airplane.

3. How do you approach solving this problem?

To solve this problem, one can use mathematical techniques such as calculus and algebra to find the minimum value of the distance formula. This can involve finding the derivative of the formula and setting it equal to zero to find the critical points, and then determining which critical point yields the minimum value.

4. Are there any practical applications of this problem?

Yes, there are various real-world applications of minimizing distance between two points. These include finding the shortest route for transportation, minimizing travel time in logistics, and optimizing resource allocation in industries such as healthcare and manufacturing.

5. Are there any limitations to this problem?

One limitation of this problem is that it only considers the distance between two points in a two-dimensional space. In real-life scenarios, there may be multiple points and obstacles that need to be considered, making the problem more complex. Additionally, the solution may not always be the most practical or feasible in real-life situations, as other factors may need to be taken into account.