Minimal and characteristic polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimal polynomial and characteristic polynomial of the transformation T defined by T(M)=Mt, where V = Mn(k) and k = R, C, or F2. It is mentioned that T^2(M)=M and this information can be used to find the minimal polynomial. A suggestion is made to find a polynomial p(x)=x^n+...+a_1x+a_0 such that p(T)=0. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the polynomial f(x)=1 or f(T)=I, but it is unclear how this relates to finding the minimal polynomial.
specialnlovin
Let V =Mn(k),n>1 and T:V→V defined by T(M)=Mt (transpose of M).
i) Find the minimal polynomial of T. Is T diagonalisable when k = R,C,F2?
ii) Suppose k = R. Find the characteristic polynomial chT .
I know that T2=T(Mt))=M and that has got to help me find the minimal polynomial

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to find a polynomial [tex]p(x)=x^n+...+a_1x+a_0[/tex], such that p(T)=0, i.e.

[tex]T^n+...+a_1T+a_0I=0[/tex]

You know that [tex]T^2(M)=M[/tex], can you use this to find a suitable polynomial??

All i can think of is f(x)=1 or f(T)=I

Come on, how do you write [tex]T^2(M)=M[/tex] as a polynomial in T??

Related to Minimal and characteristic polynomial

What is a minimal polynomial?

A minimal polynomial is a polynomial of minimal degree that has the given matrix as its root. In other words, it is the smallest polynomial that can be used to express a given matrix.

What is a characteristic polynomial?

A characteristic polynomial is a polynomial that is used to calculate the eigenvalues of a square matrix. It is obtained by taking the determinant of the matrix and setting it equal to 0, resulting in a polynomial equation.

How are minimal and characteristic polynomials related?

The minimal polynomial and characteristic polynomial are related because the minimal polynomial is a factor of the characteristic polynomial. This means that the characteristic polynomial can be factored into the minimal polynomial and some other polynomial.

Why is the minimal polynomial important?

The minimal polynomial is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of a given matrix. It also plays a key role in finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, which are important in various fields of science and engineering.

Can a matrix have multiple minimal or characteristic polynomials?

No, a matrix can have only one minimal polynomial and one characteristic polynomial. However, different matrices can have the same minimal or characteristic polynomial.