Migrating PF to New Host: Minimal Downtime Expected

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the site is moving to a new host this coming week with better hardware and prices. There is a possibility of a few hours of downtime.
Greg Bernhardt said:
How long was your downtime? For most people it should have been very quick. We switched around 6:30am this morning.
Less than 1 full day;
Maybe not more than 12 hours.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
We're going to hop on a zippy professional DNS server so the downtime should be only a few hours compared to the usual 24hrs wait on propagation.

What was the TTL setting? Verizon's DNS was giving me the old IP until just a few minutes ago.

Vanadium 50 said:
What was the TTL setting? Verizon's DNS was giving me the old IP until just a few minutes ago.
Yesterday it was 60 for much of the day, but it's apparent some ISPs cache for much longer. Hopefully everyone is over now because I put into cancel the old server tomorrow.

Likes devadmin
Vanadium 50 said:
I landed already yesterday in the middle of hurricane seasons ...

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yesterday it was 60 for much of the day, but it's apparent some ISPs cache for much longer. Hopefully everyone is over now because I put into cancel the old server tomorrow.
I've been looking at the usage on the old server, and it's completely dropped off now, so it would appear everyone is now on the new server.

Greg Bernhardt said:
How long was your downtime? For most people it should have been very quick. We switched around 6:30am this morning.
It was more than 24 hours before I was able to get back on.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Executive Summary:
PF is moving to a new host with better hardware and prices. The move will happen sometime this week. Expect a few hours downtime.

More Detail:
Our current host has told me the datacenter that holds PF's server is closing within the next couple months. Instead of moving to a new datacenter with the same host we're going to move to a new host with better hardware and better pricing. A win-win! Because the busy school season is right around the corner we've decided to expedite this process to this coming week and as soon as Tuesday. The process hasn't been fully mapped yet, but the switch could happen either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. I'll of course update this thread once that is figured out. We're going to hop on a zippy professional DNS server so the downtime should be only a few hours compared to the usual 24hrs wait on propagation. So expect this week that you may receive an error when visiting PF, but don't panic. Try again in a few hours.

Disclaimer:
I've always been correct about downtimes in the past. It's never been more than I've said. :nb):biggrin:
Thanks sir...…..i hope son i get answer, have a nice day……...:oldlaugh::bow::oldbiggrin:

fresh_42 said:
I landed already yesterday in the middle of hurricane seasons ...
For me things were really simple. No "hurricanes", no take-off, no landing either. It seems "I slept" thoughout the whole thing! ...
devadmin said:
I've been looking at the usage on the old server, and it's completely dropped off now, so it would appear everyone is now on the new server.
Looks the same to me (so far) ...
And so far so good.
By the way, I didn't know there was another Staff Administrator other than @Greg Bernhardt !? ...

Stavros Kiri said:
For me things were really simple. No "hurricanes", no take-off, no landing either. It seems "I slept" thoughout the whole thing! ...

Looks the same to me (so far) ...
And so far so good.
By the way, I didn't know there was another Staff Administrator other than @Greg Bernhardt !? ...

Let me introduce you to Matt. He helps with some of the highly technical aspects of the server.

Likes MattWServices and fresh_42
Greg Bernhardt said:
Let me introduce you to Matt. He helps with some of the highly technical aspects of the server.
Hi Matt! Seems you guys have been doing quite a work. Our congratulations and admiration! ... :smile:

Likes MattWServices
@Greg

@ still doesn't autocomplete on first try
but it did on second and third
@Greg Bernhardt
@Greg Bernhardt

computers are just that way.

Congratulations on swapover ! old jim

Likes dlgoff and Greg Bernhardt
@Greg Bernhardt
Has the time zone changed for the day shown on post? e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/random-thoughts-part-6.875108/page-209#post-6042044
post day.jpg

It's Wednesday here Central standard time zone. Wasn't the old server located in this time zone?

Attachments

• post day.jpg
    post day.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 776
Likes jim hardy
Greg Bernhardt said:
Server is on the east coast now
That explains it. Thanks Greg.

Likes jim hardy
You can set the time zone in your profile, by the way.

Likes dlgoff and Wrichik Basu
mfb said:
You can set the time zone in your profile, by the way.
Oh yea. Thanks.

Is it just my impression (on my end) or red alerts take longer to appear? (without refreshing ...)

Stavros Kiri said:
Is it just my impression (on my end) or red alerts take longer to appear? (without refreshing ...)
I have only noticed small interruption. Mostly, they appear as normal.

Stavros Kiri said:
Live updates of alerts without refreshing are a gold membership feature.

mfb said:
Live updates of alerts without refreshing are a gold membership feature.
" Live Update
The Live Update feature is very exciting and useful. This feature polls the database every 10 seconds for any new alerts or conversations regardless of refreshing or if you are even viewing the browser tab. You could be writing a post and get an alert or be checking your email and see the browser icon change to alert you of a message. I love this! "

That's different! [I don't have those yet]
I meant just by "viewing the browser tab" (without refr...).

Let me investigate this further on my end, before I bring this back (e.g. to Greg or Matt), to make sure it wasn't temporary. It's not a big deal anyway. No other changes noticed so far, everything's great, the forum still superfast everything else otherwise ! ...

got bumped off mid post maybe thirty minutes ago. Got a 'security error' message when tried to log back on.
I don't know how i got back on, i think 'back arrow' on browser
but thank goodness my long long post in progress hadn't disappeared

it was the recent transformer thread inquiring about 5- & 60 hz in EE.
old jim

ps @ still won't autocomplete

@jim hardy autocompletes here. However, there seem to be stability issues with the server connection. I think I had an hour or so downtime (no pings) yesterday and for some seconds some minutes ago.

Likes jim hardy
@fresh_42

worked again
maybe it's user specific?

@Tom.G

worked again

@jim hardy worked again

intermittent ii guess.
Computers are just that way, ever since @Microsoft
EDIT oops i see we have a user by that name. Sorry , fellow, not you personally.

jim hardy said:
Computers are just that way, ever since @Microsoft
EDIT oops i see we have a user by that name. Sorry , fellow, not you personally.
May be it's Microsoft itself with a robot account or something ... (I see no activity ...)
jim hardy said:
but thank goodness my long long post in progress hadn't disappeared
Draft gets saved fast in the system always anyway.

Likes jim hardy
Stavros Kiri said:
Stavros Kiri said:
I meant just by "viewing the browser tab" (without refr...).
Stavros Kiri said:
Let me investigate this further on my end, before I bring this back (e.g. to Greg or Matt), to make sure it wasn't temporary. It's not a big deal anyway. No other changes noticed so far, everything's great, the forum still superfast everything else otherwise ! ...
Waited a few days. It seems fast and normal now in all respects ...

Hey Greg, that was fun! Can we do it again? o0)

Likes davenn
Likes jim hardy and Greg Bernhardt
People log off? :oldconfused:

Likes Keith_McClary, davenn, dlgoff and 2 others
@Greg @ still doesn't autocomplete i clicked on Greg Bernhardt , gut just Greg showed up.

@Greg Bernhardt worked second time.

jim hardy said:
@Greg @ still doesn't autocomplete i clicked on Greg Bernhardt , gut just Greg showed up.

@Greg Bernhardt worked second time.
Well there is a member @Greg. Typing @Greg , (with the space), brings up Greg Bernhardt at the top of the list.

dlgoff said:
brings up Greg Bernhardt at the top of the list.
Yep Clicked Greg Bernhardt and it didn't autocomplete - first time. Did on secomd try. Some bit someplace gets changed after first try.

Just a minor annoyance.

Vanadium 50 said:
Hey Greg, that was fun! Can we do it again? o0)
Borg said:
People log off? :oldconfused:
Nope

I do log-off. I use private-mode in browser anyway, so if browser were closed, I would be automatically disconnected from physicsforums. I would then sign-in again when I want another session on the physicsforums.

@Greg Bernhardt @jim hardy
jim hardy said:
Yep Clicked Greg Bernhardt and it didn't autocomplete - first time. Did on secomd try. Some bit someplace gets changed after first try.

Just a minor annoyance.
It's intermittent here, as is occasionally the banner at the page top doesn't show until the first scroll action. Both worked this time.