Microwave energy problem (please check my answers)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 1000W microwave oven heating 500g of water from 10.0 degrees Celsius to 55.0 degrees C in 2 minutes. The heat capacity of water is given as 4200 J/kgdegrees C. The conversation includes calculations for the thermal energy gained by the water, the power associated with this energy, and the percentage of electricity power that went into heating the water. It is also mentioned that some energy is lost in operating the microwave and heating the air and cup, leading to the question of why not all the electricity energy is converted to thermal energy of the water.
madeeeeee

Homework Statement

Power microwave problem?
A 1000W microwave oven heats 500 g of water from 10.0 degrees Celsius to 55.0 degrees C in a time of 2 min. the heat capacity of water is 4200 J/kgdegrees C

Homework Equations

have i done this properly? there are 4 other questions with this

The Attempt at a Solution

P=1000W
m=0.5kg
T1=10.0C
T2=55.0C
change in T=45C
t=120s
c=4200J/kg degress C

a) how much thermal energy did the water gain?

have i done this correctly

Q=mcT
=(.5kg)(4200 J/kgC)(45C)
=94500 J
Q=9.5 x 10^4 J

b)How much power was associated with this thermal energy?

have i done this correctly

P=E/t
=9.5x10^4 J / (120s)
P=787.5 W

c) What percentage of the electricity power that went into the microwave actually went into heating the water?

Did i do this correctly

787.5 W / 1000 W x 100
= 79%

d) Why didn't all the electricity energy of the microwave get converted to thermal energy of the water?

Because loss of energy was also due to opperating the microwave and making cup of water spin

What are other reasons?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It all looks about right to me. There's a bit of energy going into the heating the air and the cup, but I that would be small. The spinning of the cup would be even smaller. Mostly losses of some kind in the microwave operation sounds about right to me. A microwave oven usually has vents around the back to help get rid of waste heat, which would be most of the losses.

Cheers -- sylas

Yes, your calculations for parts a, b, and c seem correct. As for part d, there are a few other reasons why not all of the electricity energy gets converted to thermal energy in the water. One is the inefficiency of the microwave itself, which means that not all of the electricity is actually used to generate microwave energy. Another reason is that some of the energy is lost as heat to the surrounding air or through the walls of the microwave. Additionally, some of the energy may be used to power the rotating plate or other features of the microwave. Overall, there are always some losses when converting one form of energy to another, so it is normal for not all of the electricity energy to be converted to thermal energy in the water.

Related to Microwave energy problem (please check my answers)

1. What is microwave energy and how does it work?

Microwave energy is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is used for cooking, heating, and communication purposes. It works by producing high-frequency electromagnetic waves that cause the water molecules in food to vibrate, generating heat.

2. Are there any health risks associated with using microwave energy?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that using microwave energy is harmful to human health. The FDA has deemed microwave ovens to be safe for consumer use as long as they are used according to the manufacturer's instructions.

3. Can microwave energy cause food to become radioactive?

No, microwave energy does not have the ability to make food radioactive. It is a non-ionizing form of radiation, meaning it does not have enough energy to alter the structure of atoms or molecules.

4. How can I prevent uneven heating in my microwave?

To prevent uneven heating in your microwave, make sure to place food in a microwave-safe container and stir or rotate it during the cooking process. This will help to distribute the heat more evenly.

5. What should I do if my microwave is sparking?

If your microwave is sparking, it could be due to the presence of metal in the microwave or a faulty part. Stop the microwave immediately and remove any metal objects. If the problem persists, it is best to have a professional inspect and repair your microwave.