Microparticle Transport via Directed Particle Gun

In summary, using a directed beam technology, it is possible to move microscopic particles of a wide range of composition. However, this method is not suitable for printing anything macroscopic.
taylaron
Gold Member
Greetings PFers,
Would it be possible to move microscopic particles of a wide range of composition (conductivity, density, etc...) using a directed beam technology? The idea is to have a fast 3D printing technology (practically no moving parts) that is capable of depositing of a wide array of materials at high resolution. I'm thinking of a configuration resembling a cathode ray tube with the particles fired downwards, impacting the part's current layer. There would be some sort of screen or membrane where the substance is dislodged by the beam and is carried to the part where it impacts and is fused.

My primary concern is how the substance would be "carried" with the electron beam to the target location on the part. Perhaps a combination of using electrostatic attraction and the electron's momentum to transport the substance to the target.

Perhaps using a directed alpha radiation or electron beam?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can do you one better than electron beams (that wouldn't work - you'd basically just have to ionise your material and accelerate it). You can use lasers to trap and move particles.

http://aip2014.org.au/cms/uploads/presentation/niko_eckerskorn.pdf
http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/nonlinear/papers/pdf/APA_2010_100_00327.pdf
http://physics.anu.edu.au/laser/research/trapping.php (lots of links to papers)

But - you can only move pico- to nano- grams of material with this method (which is more than ionising the material and making a beam). Using it for 3D printing anything macroscopic would be a bad proposition. You'd be better of just chucking material out of an aperture and using streams of air to push it around, though your resolution would suck. There are lots and lots of other applications of particle transport via laser vortices outlined in the above talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks E.Bar.Goum, I appreciate your thoughts and links.
I was worried the particle size would need to be incredibly small. At that rate, objects of any useful size would take an eternity to print. I was also hoping for a large scale application (several cubic inches).

I don't suppose anyone can think of a way to increase particle size while maintaining deposition speed and accuracy?

Kind regards.

Related to Microparticle Transport via Directed Particle Gun

1. What is a directed particle gun?

A directed particle gun is a device that uses electrical or magnetic fields to accelerate and direct microparticles towards a specific target. It is commonly used in scientific research to deliver particles to specific locations for various experiments.

2. How does microparticle transport via directed particle gun work?

Microparticle transport via directed particle gun works by first loading the particles into a chamber where they are then accelerated by an electrical or magnetic field. The particles are then directed towards a target using a series of lenses or deflectors. The speed and direction of the particles can be controlled by adjusting the strength and orientation of the fields.

3. What are the advantages of using a directed particle gun for microparticle transport?

Using a directed particle gun for microparticle transport offers several advantages. It allows for precise control over the speed and direction of the particles, making it easier to target specific areas. It also minimizes the risk of contamination and damage to the particles, as they are not in direct contact with any surfaces during transport.

4. What types of particles can be transported using a directed particle gun?

A directed particle gun can transport a wide range of particles, including biological materials, nanoparticles, and even cells. The size and charge of the particles will determine the strength and orientation of the fields needed for successful transport.

5. What are some potential applications of microparticle transport via directed particle gun?

Microparticle transport via directed particle gun has many potential applications in various fields of research. It can be used for drug delivery, cell manipulation, and microfluidic systems, among others. It can also aid in the development of new technologies and materials by allowing for precise and controlled placement of particles.