What Determines the Center of Mass Energy in Particle Collisions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hermes experiment, which is a fixed target experiment where electrons with energy 27 GeV are collided with stationary protons. The center of mass energy for these collisions is determined using the equation ECM = √(Etotal^2 - (ptotal)^2c^2), where the energy of the protons is assumed to be equal to their rest mass energy (mc^2). The conversation also mentions a separate scenario where two beams of identical particles with energy 4mc^2 are colliding. The center of mass energy for this scenario is calculated using the equation ECM = √(E1^2 + E2^2 + 2E1E2 - p1^2 -
nastassja

Homework Statement

a. The Hermes experiment is a fixed target experiment. The HERA accelerator creates circulating beams of electrons of energy 27 GeV; these are repeatedly crashed into a target of protons which are at rest. What is the center of mass energy of the electron-proton collisions?

Use 1 GeV/c2 as the mass of the proton. Treat the electrons as massless.
b.
c. (Both of these are based on the answer of the first, and I think I can figure them out if I understand part a.)

d. Consider two beams of identical particles with rest mass m; each beam has energy 4mc2. What is the center of mass energy ECM of the two beam system in the following cases:
--beams 1 and 2 are antiparallel (head on collision)
--beams 1 and 2 are directed in the +x and +y directions respectively (90[tex]\circ[/tex] collision)
--beams 1 and 2 are parallel: both momenta are along the +x direction.

Homework Equations

ECM=[tex]\sqrt{E^{2}_{total}-(p_{total})^{2}c^{2}}[/tex]
E=pc for massless particles.

The Attempt at a Solution

I only have a couple questions, and I should be able to figure out the rest on my own.

a. For the total energy, I'm guessing we just add the energy of the protons to the energy of the electrons, but how would you determine the energy of the protons? Since their momentum is zero, should it just be E=mc2?

d. I'm completely lost on how to do the second one. The first and last seem fairly simple as long as I keep track of my signs, but I'm not sure how to express the momentum in terms of m and c.

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) E_cm = [ (E_1+E_2)^2 - ( p_1_vector + p_2_vector)^2];

I think yes. E_2 is just rest mass energy of proton.

(b) E_cm = [ E_1^2 + 2*E_1*E_2 + E_2^2 - p_1^2 - p_2^2 -2*p_1*p_2* cos (90 degree) ]^(1/2)
= [ ( E_1^2 - p_1^2) + ( E_2^2 - p_2^2) + 2* E_1 * E_2 ]^(1/2)
= [ m^2 + m^2 + 2 * (4*m) * (4*m) ]^(1/2)
= [ 34 m^2 ]^(1/2)
I have confusion about beam energy. Is this right to put E_1=E_2= 4m ? Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have another question. What is the physical meaning of center of mass energy?

Related to What Determines the Center of Mass Energy in Particle Collisions?

1. What is the Center of Mass Energy (ECM)?

The Center of Mass Energy (ECM) is a term used in physics to describe the total energy of a system. It is the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of all particles in the system, and is calculated by taking into account the velocities and masses of each particle.

2. How is the Center of Mass Energy (ECM) related to particle collisions?

In particle collisions, the Center of Mass Energy (ECM) is a crucial parameter as it determines the maximum energy that can be produced in the collision. It is also used to calculate the masses of particles produced in collisions, as well as to study the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions.

3. What are the units of Center of Mass Energy (ECM)?

The units of Center of Mass Energy (ECM) depend on the system being studied. In particle physics, it is typically measured in electron volts (eV) or gigaelectron volts (GeV). In astrophysics, it is usually measured in joules (J) or electron volts (eV).

4. How is the Center of Mass Energy (ECM) used in particle accelerators?

In particle accelerators, the Center of Mass Energy (ECM) is used to determine the maximum energy that can be achieved in a collision. This is important for designing and optimizing the performance of accelerators, as well as for predicting the types of particles that will be produced in collisions.

5. Is the Center of Mass Energy (ECM) conserved in particle interactions?

Yes, the Center of Mass Energy (ECM) is conserved in particle interactions. This means that the total energy before and after a collision remains the same. However, the energy can be transformed from one form to another, such as from kinetic energy to potential energy, depending on the specific interaction taking place.