Microchannels in a plastic film

In summary, the conversation discusses a method of creating micron-sized channels inside a thermoplastic polymer using a laser, which can potentially be used for various applications such as running fluids through it or creating voids of any shape. The researchers are seeking ideas for potential applications, with suggestions including cooling applications and chemical reactions that require a large surface area. The conversation also acknowledges the challenge of finding practical applications for academic research.
refind
Another grad student and I have figured out a way to create micron-sized channels INSIDE a piece of thermoplastic polymer using a laser. Basically it creates a porous channel inside the material (I attached a microscope image). This is a long channel but the inside of it is not empty - it has a highly tortuous structure.

We've done this using 1mm thick plastic, and also 0.15mm thick film. Question is, is there anything cool I can make out of this? I thought about running a fluid (potentially conductive fluid) through it, making some sort of device. Some sort of display? Strain gage? Solar cell? Something bio?

Theoretically I should be able to make a void of any shape (not just channels) using this method. Again, these voids are INSIDE the material, not on the surface - it has solid polymer on top and bottom, enclosing it from the environment.

This is really backwards, normally in engineering you make something that solves a real problem. Instead, I made something for no reason and am trying to find an application. That's the sad part about academic research, but that's where I'm at today ):

Any ideas highly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• Sample2_StageSpeed2_63p_1kHz_50x_focus1.jpg
    Sample2_StageSpeed2_63p_1kHz_50x_focus1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 457
Just guessing:
With larger channels (~100µm) it could be interesting for cooling applications. Or for some chemical reactions that need a large surface but still something more structured than porous materials.

mfb said:
Just guessing:
With larger channels (~100µm) it could be interesting for cooling applications. Or for some chemical reactions that need a large surface but still something more structured than porous materials.

This is what I'm looking for, can you be more specific? How would this be applied to "cooling" ? Cooling of what?

And what chemical reactions would require this, do you have any examples?

Thanks

The concept is called microchannel cooling, and in principle everything that generates heat can be cooled - electronics, heat from friction, from hot material flowing over a surface, ...

refind said:
And what chemical reactions would require this, do you have any examples?
I don't know, but google finds many applications with the search terms "porous materials chemical reactions".

Related to Microchannels in a plastic film

1. What are microchannels in a plastic film?

Microchannels in a plastic film are tiny channels or grooves that are created in a plastic film. These channels are typically less than 100 micrometers in size and can be used for various purposes, such as controlling the flow of liquids or gases through the film.

2. How are microchannels created in a plastic film?

Microchannels can be created in a plastic film using various techniques, such as hot embossing, laser ablation, or microfluidic soft lithography. These techniques involve using specialized equipment to pattern the plastic film with precise and intricate microchannels.

3. What are the benefits of using microchannels in a plastic film?

Microchannels in a plastic film offer several advantages, including the ability to control the flow of fluids or gases, improved heat transfer, and increased surface area for reactions. Additionally, microchannels can also be used for drug delivery, DNA analysis, and other biomedical applications.

4. Can microchannels be customized for specific applications?

Yes, microchannels in a plastic film can be customized for specific applications. The size, shape, and arrangement of the microchannels can be tailored to meet the specific needs and requirements of a particular application. This customization allows for a more precise and efficient use of the plastic film.

5. Are there any limitations to using microchannels in a plastic film?

While microchannels offer many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. For example, the manufacturing process for creating microchannels can be expensive and time-consuming. Additionally, the size and complexity of the microchannels may also impact the overall cost and feasibility of using them in a plastic film.