Microcanonical Ensemble: Unequal Weighting of Points

In summary, the microcanonical ensemble does not weight every point equally and this fact has been well documented in literature.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

I was wondering if it is a well known fact that the microcanonical ensemble (i.e. [itex]W = \int \delta(\mathcal H(\vec x, \vec p) - E) \mathrm d \vec x \mathrm d \vec p[/itex]) does not weight every point equally, in the sense that in the integral (which was just quoted) some points on the energy hypersurface are weighted more heavily than others.

I'm just wondering cause I had been wrong myself for quite some time and I haven't found a reference to this fact in standard books (but maybe I haven't looked well enough!).
Concrete example: take a 2D phase space and a system where the energy "hypersurfaces" are ellipses (e.g. harmonic oscillator), then the W (as defined above) is not simply the circumference of the ellipse.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!</code>Yes, it is well known that the microcanonical ensemble does not weight every point equally. This is because the phase space can be partitioned into regions of different energies, and the integrand in the definition of the microcanonical ensemble will be weighted differently depending on which region it is in. For example, in the case of a two-dimensional phase space and a system where the energy "hypersurfaces" are ellipses (such as the harmonic oscillator), the integral will be weighted more heavily towards the regions with higher energies, and thus the circumference of the ellipse will not be the same as the value for the microcanonical ensemble. This phenomenon is known as "Gibbs paradox" and has been studied extensively in statistical mechanics.

Related to Microcanonical Ensemble: Unequal Weighting of Points

1. What is the Microcanonical Ensemble?

The Microcanonical Ensemble is a statistical ensemble used in statistical mechanics to describe a system with a fixed number of particles, energy, and volume. It is also known as the NVE ensemble, where N is the number of particles, V is the volume, and E is the energy. In this ensemble, all microstates with the same fixed values of N, V, and E are considered equally likely.

2. What is unequal weighting of points in the Microcanonical Ensemble?

In the Microcanonical Ensemble, unequal weighting of points refers to the fact that all microstates with the same fixed values of N, V, and E are considered equally likely, regardless of their individual weights. This means that in this ensemble, all microstates are given equal importance, regardless of their energy levels.

3. Why is unequal weighting of points important in the Microcanonical Ensemble?

Unequal weighting of points is important in the Microcanonical Ensemble because it allows for the calculation of the probability of a particular energy level occurring in a system. This is essential in understanding the behavior and properties of a system with a fixed number of particles, energy, and volume.

4. How is unequal weighting of points calculated in the Microcanonical Ensemble?

To calculate the unequal weighting of points in the Microcanonical Ensemble, we use the principle of equal a priori probabilities, which states that all microstates with the same fixed values of N, V, and E are equally likely. This means that the probability of a particular microstate is proportional to its volume in phase space, which is determined by the number of particles and the energy of the system.

5. What are the applications of the Microcanonical Ensemble?

The Microcanonical Ensemble has various applications in statistical mechanics, including the study of phase transitions, the calculation of thermodynamic properties of a system, and the determination of the distribution of energy levels in a system. It is also used in the analysis of physical systems such as gases, solids, and liquids, and in the study of biological systems.