For a table on a rough surface, if i give it a push

In summary, the table will move in the direction of the push with a certain velocity and acceleration, depending on the force applied and the surface it is on. It will eventually come to a stop due to friction between the table and the rough surface. The table may also experience some rotational motion if the surface is not completely rough. The roughness of the surface can affect the amount of friction and the distance the table will move can be estimated by considering factors such as force, mass, and coefficient of friction.
alchemist
for a table on a rough surface, if i give it a push, it would slide for a distance then topple over..what cause it to topple over?
why the friction would not just stop the table from moving??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The friction force is only acting on the legs of the table, not the top. What stops the top of the table from moving?

Related to For a table on a rough surface, if i give it a push

1. How will the table move if I give it a push?

The table will move in the direction of the push with a certain velocity and acceleration, depending on the force applied and the surface it is on.

2. Will the table stop moving on its own?

Yes, the table will eventually come to a stop due to friction between the table and the rough surface it is on.

3. Can the table move in any other direction besides the direction of the push?

Yes, if the table is not perfectly flat or the surface is not completely rough, it may experience some rotational motion in addition to the translational motion caused by the push.

4. How does the roughness of the surface affect the movement of the table?

The roughness of the surface can increase the amount of friction between the table and the surface, making it more difficult for the table to move and causing it to come to a stop sooner.

5. Is there a way to predict how far the table will move after I give it a push?

Yes, by using equations of motion and considering factors such as the force applied, the mass of the table, and the coefficient of friction between the table and the surface, the distance the table will move can be estimated.