Methods to convert linear movement to circular

In summary, this conversation is about a possible way to convert gas pressure into rotational energy.
physea
Hello,

Obviously using a piston, you convert linear movement to circular.
Or using a turbine.

Other methods/mechanisms?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pistons do not convert linear movement to rotational movement.

What are the parameters/limitations of this question? Is it homework? Have you googled it? This is very vague/open ended.

Is this one of those crank threads? :biggrin:
Two jokes for the price of one.

Likes Mech_Engineer, Bystander, Dale and 3 others
physea said:
Other methods/mechanisms?
I did a Google search on your thread title (omitting "Methods to"), and got a bzillion hits. Maybe try that?

Likes sophiecentaur and russ_watters
berkeman said:
I did a Google search on your thread title (omitting "Methods to"), and got a bzillion hits. Maybe try that?
That's so often the answer to questions on PF.
Science is clearly not as well funded (on the internet) as marketing is. Once you are hooked into Amazon or eBay and you can't help finding the thing you want (or the thing they tell you that you want.
Just imagine this response from PF: "People who enquired about convert linear motion also found machines, inclined planes and levers of interest"

sophiecentaur said:
Science is clearly not as well funded (on the internet) as marketing is. Once you are hooked into Amazon or eBay and you can't help finding the thing you want (or the thing they tell you that you want.
No kidding. Literally less than 30 minutes after I did some Google searching for typical images of Peltier generators with heaters, I got an advertisement in my other browsing for similar Peltier generator setups. Yoiks...
berkeman said:
What is the heat source for your Peltier generator? What is the heat flux into the generator? What is the typical efficiency of the conversion to electrical energy? What power do you estimate you have to run the electric motor? Can you show us your calculations so far?

https://www.ebay.com/i/253473259913?chn=ps

View attachment 226424

s-l640-jpg.jpg

Attachments

• s-l640-jpg.jpg
    s-l640-jpg.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 541
So what's the most efficient way to convert gas pressure into rotational energy?

physea said:
So what's the most efficient way to convert gas pressure into rotational energy?
I am sure that would depend on the available pressure. For high pressure you'd be talking in terms of a turbine but for low pressure, some wide area piston engine could be best (I'm thinking in terms of a domestic gas meter mechanism).

physea said:
Since you aren't going to participate in your own thread, it is locked.

Likes JBA and berkeman

Related to Methods to convert linear movement to circular

1. What is the purpose of converting linear movement to circular?

The purpose of converting linear movement to circular is to change the direction of motion from a straight line to a circular path. This is often necessary in machinery and equipment where circular motion is more efficient or desirable.

2. What are some common methods to convert linear movement to circular?

Some common methods include using gears, pulleys, and cams. Gears use meshed teeth to transfer rotational motion from one axis to another. Pulleys use a belt or rope to transfer motion from a rotating wheel to a stationary one. Cams use an eccentric shape to convert rotary motion into linear motion.

3. How do gears convert linear movement to circular?

Gears consist of two or more toothed wheels that mesh together. As one gear turns, the teeth of the gears interlock and transfer motion to the other gear. This changes the direction of motion from linear to circular.

4. What are the advantages of converting linear movement to circular using pulleys?

Pulleys can change the direction of motion without changing the speed or force. They are also simple and cost-effective to use. Additionally, pulleys can be used to create different gear ratios, allowing for speed or force adjustments in the circular motion.

5. Are there any disadvantages to converting linear movement to circular?

One potential disadvantage is the potential for mechanical failure, as there are more moving parts involved in changing the direction of motion. Additionally, converting linear motion to circular may also result in energy loss due to friction and inefficiencies in the conversion process.