Methods of Particle Detection for Neutrinos in Particle Physics

In summary, the methods of particle detection (especially for neutrinos) include Cherenkov, cloud, Zeus, spark, drift, and scintillation devices. These methods can be found on Wikipedia and there may be more that are not listed. Neutral particles are detected indirectly through collisions with other particles. Accelerator collisions can produce neutrinos, with mostly muon neutrinos being produced. The target used for this process is typically aluminum, and the energy of the protons is usually around 400 GeV. The current MINOS experiment uses a 120-GeV proton beam and a graphite target.
Pseudo Epsilon
hi all, i have done research and know the basic ones but could you guys please list all the methods of particle detection (especialy ones that detect neutrinos) that you know of I am learning particle physics and this would really help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pseudo Epsilon said:
hi all, i have done research and know the basic ones but could you guys please list all the methods of particle detection (especialy ones that detect neutrinos) that you know of I am learning particle physics and this would really help me.

Since you've done some research, how about you list the ones you know so we'll know what to fill in?

cherenkov, cloud. And i know of zeus but not how it works yet.

i just want a list of names so i can research them. Thanks in advance if anyone complies.

and spark, drift and scintilation devices. Its mainly the solid state ones id like listed.

arnt there more than those? I've already looked at the wiki.

and mainly, how are neutral particles detected?

thanks, any other methods of neutral particle detection aside from cloud chambers?

and if neutrinos can pass through millions of km of lead how can we be sure that they will interact with the proton?

We cannot be sure. Just a tiny fraction (like 10-15, plus minus some orders of magnitude) of all neutrinos are detected in neutrino detectors. Those detectors need a large volume and large particle fluxes to see anything.

Also, higher-energy neutrinos are more likely to interact (the cross-section increases linearly with energy), so it's easier to study neutrinos produced at an accelerator (10s or 100s of GeV) than solar neutrinos (a few MeV).

what acelerator collisions produce neutrinos?

From http://lbne.fnal.gov/neutrino-beam.shtml:

The processs start by extracting a proton beam from an accelerator complex and smashing the protons into a target. The protons' interactions with the protons and neutrons in the target material produce new, short-lived particles such as pions and kaons. These particles travel a short distance (about 200 m) through a "decay pipe," and as they do, a good fraction of them decays into neutrinos that continue on in the same direction, forming a neutrino beam. Of the three known neutrino types, a beam produced in this manner contains mostly muon neutrinos.

Following the decay pipe, the beam passes through a lot of solid material (metal, rocks, etc.) that absorbs the other decay products, leaving only the neutrinos.

what target is used and what energy protons? I know I am nitpicking sorry.

In the setup described above, you want a target that's not too dense, so it doesn't absorb the kaons and pions before they can enter the decay pipe; but you want it to be dense enough to produce a decent number of proton interactions.

When I was a grad student working with a neutrino experiment there more than 30 years ago, they used an aluminum target. Here's a description of that old setup, from my dissertation:

Figure 8.1 shows the FNAL accelerator, experimental areas, and neutrino beam line. Protons with an energy of 400 GeV, from the main ring of the FNAL proton synchrotron, strike an aluminum target and produce a shower of hadrons, most of which are pions and kaons. These pass through a double-horn focusing device, in which a toroidal magnetic field defocuses the positive hadrons and focuses the negative ones into a 350-meter-long evacuated decay pipe. Here some of the hadrons decay into neutrinos and leptons before reaching an iron and Earth shield which absorbs the rest. Although the hadrons can be absorbed quickly via the strong interaction, the muons which are produced along with the neutrinos lose energy much more slowly, mainly via ionization. Hence, the shield extends for 1000m in order to eliminate virtually all the muons. At the end of the shield the beam contains mostly ##{\bar \nu}_\mu## from the dominant decay modes of the positive hadrons in the decay pipe, with a slight contamination of ##\nu_\mu##, ##{\bar \nu}_e## and ##\nu_e##.

I see the current MINOS experiment http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINOS uses a 120-GeV proton beam and a graphite target.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58473&stc=1&d=1367686521.gif

Attachments

• Fig-8.1.gif
    Fig-8.1.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
thank you jtbell.

Related to Methods of Particle Detection for Neutrinos in Particle Physics

1. What is the purpose of detecting neutrinos in particle physics?

The detection of neutrinos in particle physics allows scientists to study and understand the fundamental properties of these elusive particles. Neutrinos are one of the most abundant particles in the universe and their detection can provide insights into the origin and evolution of the universe, as well as help us understand the nature of matter and the fundamental forces that govern our universe.

2. How do scientists detect neutrinos?

There are several methods of detecting neutrinos, including using large tanks of water or ice, specialized detectors called scintillators, and underground detectors. These methods rely on the interaction of neutrinos with other particles, such as protons or electrons, which produce a detectable signal that can be measured.

3. What challenges do scientists face in detecting neutrinos?

One of the biggest challenges in detecting neutrinos is their extremely low interaction rate with matter. This means that large and sensitive detectors are needed to detect a sufficient number of neutrinos. Additionally, neutrinos come in three different types or "flavors" and have the ability to change between these flavors, making their detection and identification more complex.

4. How do scientists distinguish neutrinos from other particles in their detectors?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to distinguish neutrinos from other particles in their detectors. One method is to look for characteristic patterns of energy deposition in the detector, as neutrinos typically interact in a different way than other particles. Another method is to use multiple detectors at different distances from the neutrino source, as the different types of neutrinos will travel at different speeds and can be identified based on when they arrive at each detector.

5. What are some current and future advancements in neutrino detection methods?

Current advancements in neutrino detection methods include the development of more sensitive detectors, such as the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) in the United States, and the upgrade of existing detectors, such as the Super-Kamiokande experiment in Japan. Future advancements may include the use of new technologies, such as liquid argon detectors and more precise timing and tracking techniques, to further improve our ability to detect and study neutrinos.