Method of undetermined coefficients

In summary, the student is trying to solve a homogeneous equation for x*cos x, but is having trouble. He is using a method of variation of parameters and is hopeful that he will be able to find a solution by splitting the right hand side up.
bennyska

Homework Statement

y'' + y = sin x + x*cos x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't like undetermined coefficients. so far, for me, it's been so much trial and error, although i am getting a little faster at it.
anyway, i didn't work out the homogeneous equation, but i can see it'll be something with complex roots. i worked out the part for sin x and got yp=-1/2*x*cos x.
now, with x*cos x, i tried a*x2sin x + b*x2cos x.
when i plug all this into the original equation, i get
(4ax + 2b) cos x + (2a+4bx)sin x. so, i think i need to get 4ax + 2b = x, and 2a+4bx=0, right? i don't see any other way than to let 4a =1, and 2b=0, but this doesn't work in getting 2a+4bx=0. am i making some dumb mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to work out the homogeneous equation first, since that will have a direct impact on your particular solution in this problem. The roots of the characteristic equation are complex, it's true, but your solutions don't have to be.

For example, if the roots of the char. equation are r = a +/- bi, you can take your solutions to be y1 = e^(ax)cos(bx) and y2 = e^(ax)sin(bx).

i know that. in this case, the roots are i and -i, so the homogeneous solution is (c1sinx + c2cosx), and one of the particulars is yp=-1/2*x*cos x. i know my other solution must be linearly independent, of these two, so (and here I'm not sure) it would i try some x^n (probably x^2) times some cos or sin? when i do this, so far the closest I've gotten is the above solution, but i can't work out the coefficients. and, i don't see where I'm making a mistake. that's why i was saying this method is frustrating, because it's so much trial and error, at least until you get the hang of it. I'm having luck with simpler versions of this method, but with more complex ones, like the above, and especially with another one I'm working on, sin^2(x).
i'm not sure if I've tried some polynomial times sin or cos for the above (i've been going over this for a while). does that sound like a better solution? any hint would be helpful, but i'll continue working on it, and post my results.

For a particular solution, I would try yp = Axsin(x) + Bxcos(x) + Cx2sin(x) + Dx2cos(x), and go from there. I'm not sure that you can pick out one part of the forcing function (the part on the right side of the equation that makes the DE nonhomogeneous) and determine the coefficients. IOW, I don't think you can find the particular solution one part at a time.

For your other DE, with sin2(x) on the right side, you'll probably need to use variation of parameters, since the technique used in this problem won't produce sin2(x).

Mark44 said:
For your other DE, with sin2(x) on the right side, you'll probably need to use variation of parameters, since the technique used in this problem won't produce sin2(x).

it will if i use the identity sin2x= (1- cos 2x)/2, which i did, and found a solution.

and you can split the right hand side up. i mean, the general solution is a particular plus the homogeneous. i saw a nice video on youtube the other day that went over this. it basically went over how if you put in the general solution into the diff eq, everything distributes out.

for most of the time I've done math, I've done it by knowing facts, looking at examples, and then working them out. I've been trying to do a better job of actually understanding what it is I'm doing lately.

thanks for the other part, i'll definitely try that.

Related to Method of undetermined coefficients

1. What is the method of undetermined coefficients?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a technique used to solve a differential equation with non-homogeneous terms. It involves finding a particular solution by assuming a general form for the solution and solving for the coefficients using the given non-homogeneous terms.

2. When is the method of undetermined coefficients used?

This method is used when the non-homogeneous terms of a differential equation can be expressed as a polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, or a combination of these functions. It is also used when the non-homogeneous terms are constant coefficients multiplied by these functions.

3. What are the steps involved in the method of undetermined coefficients?

The first step is to identify the type of non-homogeneous terms in the differential equation. The second step is to assume a general form for the particular solution based on the type of non-homogeneous terms. The third step is to substitute the assumed solution into the original differential equation and solve for the coefficients. The fourth and final step is to combine the particular solution with the homogeneous solution to get the general solution.

4. Can the method of undetermined coefficients be used for all types of non-homogeneous terms?

No, this method can only be used for certain types of non-homogeneous terms, such as polynomials, exponentials, and trigonometric functions. For other types of non-homogeneous terms, other methods such as variation of parameters may be used.

5. What is the difference between the method of undetermined coefficients and the method of variation of parameters?

The method of undetermined coefficients is used to find a particular solution for a differential equation with non-homogeneous terms, while the method of variation of parameters is used to find a general solution. The method of undetermined coefficients involves assuming a general form for the particular solution and solving for the coefficients, while the method of variation of parameters involves finding a set of particular solutions and then combining them to get the general solution.