Method of separation of variables for wave equation

In summary, to solve the given initial value problem, you can use the method of separation of variables to find the general solution for u(x,t). Then, you can use the method of Fourier series to find the coefficients of the solution and solve for the specific values of the coefficients using the given boundary conditions.
sigh1342

Homework Statement

$$u_{tt} = a^2u_{xx} , 0<x< l , t>0 , $$a is constant
$$ u(x,0)=sinx , u_{t} (x,0) = cosx , 0<x< l , t>0 $$
$$ u(0,t)=2t , u(l,t)=t^2 , t>0 $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve the eigenvalue problem of X(x), and then solve for T(t), but I don't know how to solve the initial value problem for $$u(x,0) =sinx , and u_{t} (x,0) = cosx $$
with I can only compute the Fourier expansion of $$ sinx $$ and $$ cosx $$ with $$ λ_{n} = \frac { (n \pi)^2} {l^2} $$ , but the ans looks like ugly, and compare term is fail.
by the way I'm sorry for my poor english.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

To solve the initial value problem for u(x,0) and u_t(x,0), you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves assuming a solution of the form u(x,t) = X(x)T(t), and then substituting this into the given equation. This will result in two separate ordinary differential equations, one for X(x) and one for T(t). You can then solve these equations individually to find the general solution for u(x,t).

For the boundary conditions, you can use the method of Fourier series to find the coefficients of the solution. This involves expanding the given boundary conditions into a Fourier series and then equating the coefficients to the general solution found above. This will give you a set of equations that you can solve to find the specific values of the coefficients.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Method of separation of variables for wave equation

1. What is the method of separation of variables for the wave equation?

The method of separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations, including the wave equation. It involves assuming a solution to the wave equation that can be expressed as a product of two or more simpler functions, and then solving each of these functions separately.

2. How does the method of separation of variables work?

The method of separation of variables works by breaking down the wave equation into simpler equations that can be solved individually. This is achieved by assuming a solution in the form of a product of simpler functions, and then substituting this into the wave equation. This creates a system of equations that can be solved to find the individual functions.

3. What are the advantages of using the method of separation of variables for the wave equation?

The method of separation of variables is advantageous because it allows for the solution of complex partial differential equations, such as the wave equation, by breaking them down into simpler equations. It also allows for the identification of the constants of the solution, which can help in understanding the behavior of the system.

4. What are the limitations of the method of separation of variables for the wave equation?

The method of separation of variables may not always be applicable to all forms of the wave equation. It also requires the initial and boundary conditions to be known, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the method may not always yield an explicit solution and may require further manipulation of the equations.

5. How is the method of separation of variables used in real-world applications?

The method of separation of variables is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving waves, such as in acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in other fields such as economics and finance, where the wave equation can be used to model certain phenomena.