Method of images about a sphere with a dipole

In summary, the conversation is about a question in an electricity and magnetism class regarding the method of images. The question asks for the image of a dipole on a non-grounded conducting sphere. The conversation explains the concept of method of images and how it applies to the problem, with an external charge creating a "mirror charge" inside the sphere. The question also asks for the potential energy and total charge of the sphere, which can be calculated using the image dipole. The term "image" in this context does not refer to a drawing, but rather the location and magnitude of the "mirror charge" inside the sphere.
Freddy P

Homework Statement

Hello everyone, I am new here and have a question regarding method of images in my electricity and magnetism class. I need help to even get the ball rolling. The question is as follows:

a) What is the image of a dipole, oriented toward the center of the conducting sphere, if the sphere
is not grounded?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is where my confusion initially lies. When it is said 'what is the image of a dipole,' what exactly does that mean? Am I to draw a picture of the dipole in regards to an non-grounded sphere? If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
stevendaryl said:
Do you know what method of images is? If you have a conducting sphere, and you put a charge outside the sphere, then the charges on the sphere will rearrange themselves so that the combined field is as if there were a "mirror charge" inside the sphere. Take a look at this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Method_of_image_charges#Reflection_in_a_conducting_sphere
Ahh ok, so is this part of the problem just asking for an image of a dipole for a non-grounded sphere then? The other parts of the question asked for the potential energy and total charge of the sphere which I calculated. Maybe I'm overthinking the first part but when it says image, it's just asking to draw an image, no? Thanks for your help!

Freddy P said:
Ahh ok, so is this part of the problem just asking for an image of a dipole for a non-grounded sphere then? The other parts of the question asked for the potential energy and total charge of the sphere which I calculated. Maybe I'm overthinking the first part but when it says image, it's just asking to draw an image, no? Thanks for your help!

No, they are asking you to figure out the location and magnitude of the image dipole, and use that to answer the other questions.

Related to Method of images about a sphere with a dipole

What is the method of images?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used in electrostatics to solve problems involving a point charge or dipole near a conducting surface.

How does the method of images work?

The method of images works by creating a mirror image of the original charge or dipole with an opposite charge or dipole, positioned in a specific location relative to the conducting surface. This image charge or dipole cancels out the electric field created by the original charge or dipole at the surface, allowing for easier calculation of the electric potential and field.

What is the significance of using a sphere in the method of images?

The sphere serves as a convenient conducting surface in the method of images, allowing for simpler calculations and providing a more realistic representation of many physical systems.

How is a dipole represented in the method of images?

A dipole is typically represented by two point charges, one positive and one negative, separated by a distance. The method of images uses two image dipoles, each composed of two opposite point charges, to cancel out the electric field at the conducting surface.

What are some real-world applications of the method of images?

The method of images is commonly used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, as well as in the study of electric fields near conducting surfaces, such as in the case of lightning striking tall buildings.