The Method of Images (Electromagnetism)

In summary, the method of images is a mathematical convenience to set a fixed potential to zero for a grounded conductor.
sinus
TL;DR Summary
What is the effect of the plane that being grounded make its electric potential become zero?
Can anyone explain to me why grounded means zero electric potential. I confuse what's the relation between infinite ground conducting plane and its electric potential (the method of images).
1675585195620.png

I have a several question:
1. Why the conductor plane must be infinite, while in reality there's no such one.
2. Why the electric potential must be zero to using this method?
2. If the plane isn't be grounded, does its electric potential not zero? What's exactly that making the potential in the plane zero when we grounded it? How ?
As far as I know that the electron easily run into the ground, does it mean the plane become positive charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's arbitrary what you define to be zero because only potential differences matter. If there is a ground connection then that's usually defined to be zero.

There is too much context missing to answer your individual questions.
1. Conducting plates don't have to be infinite in general.
2. Which method?

Likes sinus and Dale
sinus said:
1. Why the conductor plane must be infinite, while in reality there's no such one.
Because it makes the calculation easier. A large but finite plane would give approximately the same answer, but with more mathematical effort required.

sinus said:
2. Why the electric potential must be zero to using this method?
Because it makes the calculation easier. You can set it to any potential you like, but setting it to zero is convenient.

sinus said:
2. If the plane isn't be grounded, does its electric potential not zero?
Grounding allows the plane to accept charge without changing potential. So grounding produces a structure with a fixed potential. It is merely a mathematical convenience to set that fixed potential to zero.

sinus said:
What's exactly that making the potential in the plane zero when we grounded it? How ?
It is just an arbitrary choice. The value of potential is not physical. Only potential differences are physically meaningful.

sinus said:
As far as I know that the electron easily run into the ground, does it mean the plane become positive charge?
No. As I said above, grounding makes it so that the plane has a fixed potential which does not change as charges are added or removed.

• Informative
Likes sinus and hutchphd
mfb said:
It's arbitrary what you define to be zero because only potential differences matter. If there is a ground connection then that's usually defined to be zero.

There is too much context missing to answer your individual questions.
1. Conducting plates don't have to be infinite in general.
2. Which method?
Thank you for your reply sir, I finally understand the method of images. Sorry for long tome didn't respond. For your feedback,number 2: the method that I meant is the method of images, like why using that solutions method (thank god, now I know the reason)
For number 1, I don't follow. So for a finite conducting planes the method of images is still apply?

Dale said:
Because it makes the calculation easier. A large but finite plane would give approximately the same answer, but with more mathematical effort required.

Because it makes the calculation easier. You can set it to any potential you like, but setting it to zero is convenient.

Grounding allows the plane to accept charge without changing potential. So grounding produces a structure with a fixed potential. It is merely a mathematical convenience to set that fixed potential to zero.

It is just an arbitrary choice. The value of potential is not physical. Only potential differences are physically meaningful.

No. As I said above, grounding makes it so that the plane has a fixed potential which does not change as charges are added or removed.
Thank you so much for your explanation sir, it really helpful for me :)

What is the Method of Images in electromagnetism?

The Method of Images is a mathematical technique used to solve problems in electromagnetism. It involves creating a virtual image of a charge or a conducting surface in order to simplify the calculation of electric or magnetic fields.

How does the Method of Images work?

The Method of Images works by using the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric or magnetic field at a point is the sum of the fields produced by each individual charge or conducting surface. By creating a virtual image, the field produced by the original charge or surface can be cancelled out or added to, making the overall calculation easier.

What are the applications of the Method of Images?

The Method of Images is commonly used in the study of electrostatics, magnetostatics, and electromagnetism. It can be applied to a variety of problems, such as calculating the electric field between two parallel conducting plates, or the magnetic field around a conducting wire.

What are the limitations of the Method of Images?

The Method of Images is not always applicable to every problem in electromagnetism. It is most useful for problems involving simple geometries and boundary conditions. Additionally, it only works for static fields and cannot be used for time-varying fields.

Are there any real-life examples of the Method of Images?

Yes, the Method of Images has been used to explain various phenomena in real-life, such as the reflection of light off of a conducting surface, or the attraction between two parallel conducting plates. It has also been applied in the design of electronic devices, such as capacitors and antennas.