Meteoric Radiation Decay Question Check

In summary, the question asks to estimate the age of a meteorite based on the amount of trapped 40-Ar and 40-K. The formula used is N(Ar)/N(K) = e^(ln2/t_half * t_formation) - 1, and the attempt at a solution takes into consideration the ratio of 11 40-Ar nuclei to 100 40-K nuclei. However, the correct formula should be N(Ar + Ca)/N(K) = e^(ln2/t_half * t_formation) - 1, taking into account the presence of 89 40-Ca nuclei.
TFM

Homework Statement

I have done a question, but I am not sure wether the answer I got is correct:

A meteorite sampleis found to have some 40-Ar trapped in a small volume deep inside it, which also contains exactly the same amount of radioactive 40-K. Assuming that when the meteorite was formed there was no trapped argon, that every 100 40-K nuclei decay into 11 40-Argon nuclei (and 89 40-Ca, which play no further part in this question) and that the half life of 40-K is 1.3x10^9 years, estimate the age of the meteorite in years.

Homework Equations

[tex] \frac{N(^{40}Ar)}{N()^{40}K} = e^{\lambda t_{Formation}} - 1[/tex]

[tex] t_{1/2} = \frac{ln2}{\lambda} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Rearranging the formula, I get:

[tex] \frac{N(^{40}Ar)}{N(^{40}K)} = e^{(\frac{ln2}{t_{1/2}}) t_{Formation}} - 1[/tex]

I considered the ratio to be 50:50, or 1:1, since there was equal numbers. Put in all the variables into the above equation, and I got a nice number of 1.3 billion years. It seems a fair enough answer.

My problem is, I don't seem to have taken into consideration the fact that only 11 of the 100 potassium atoms decay into Argon. and the fact that the time is the half-life shows that this should be the answer when the Potassium only forms argon, since half-life is the time for half the atoms to decay, it means from the half that have decaysed, really, only 11% should be argon.

Have I made a mistake somewhere/used the wrong formula?

TFM

Physics news on Phys.org
TFM said:
… since half-life is the time for half the atoms to decay, it means from the half that have decaysed, really, only 11% should be argon.

Hi TFM! :smile:

The question isn't very clear, but I think you're right: if you start with 200 atoms of K, then after one half-life you have 100 of K, 11 of Ar, and 89 of Ca. :smile:

So your [tex] \frac{N(^{40}Ar)}{N()^{40}K} = e^{\lambda t_{Formation}} - 1[/tex]

should say [tex] \frac{N(^{40}Ar\,+\,^{40}Ca)}{N()^{40}K} = e^{\lambda t_{Formation}} - 1[/tex],

and then you use N(Ar)/N(Ca) = 11/89. :smile:

:

Your approach and equations are correct. The only thing you may have missed is that the half-life of 40-K is 1.3x10^9 years, meaning that after this amount of time, only half of the original 40-K nuclei will remain. So instead of the ratio being 1:1, it should be 1:0.5. This means that for every 100 40-K nuclei, there will only be 50 remaining after 1.3x10^9 years. Therefore, the ratio of 40-Ar to 40-K will be 11:50, or 11/50. Plugging this into your equation, you should get an age of approximately 2.7 billion years for the meteorite.

Related to Meteoric Radiation Decay Question Check

1. What is meteoric radiation decay?

Meteoric radiation decay is the process by which meteoroids, or small particles of matter in space, are broken down and release energy in the form of radiation.

2. How does meteoric radiation decay occur?

Meteoric radiation decay occurs when meteoroids collide with atoms or molecules in the Earth's atmosphere, causing them to break apart and release radiation.

3. What types of radiation are emitted during meteoric radiation decay?

The types of radiation emitted during meteoric radiation decay include X-rays, gamma rays, and alpha and beta particles.

4. How does meteoric radiation decay affect the Earth?

Meteoric radiation decay can have various effects on the Earth, such as creating auroras and contributing to the Earth's radiation budget. It can also have potential health effects on living organisms.

5. Can meteoric radiation decay be harmful?

Meteoric radiation decay can potentially be harmful to living organisms, especially if exposure is prolonged. However, the amount of radiation released during this process is relatively small and is not a major concern for most people.