How Old Is the Rock Using Potassium-Argon Dating?

• Thread starter Number1Ballar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Rock
In summary: Remember that the parent nuclei are decaying into the daughter nuclei, so the number of parent nuclei decreases as the number of daughter nuclei increases. Therefore, the N/N0 ratio should be less than 1, and you'll need to use the fraction of K that is remaining (1-0.12) as your value for this ratio.In summary, the potassium-argon dating technique uses the decay of 40K into 40Ar to determine the age of old lava flows. The ratio of 40Ar to 40K in a solidified lava sample can be used to calculate the age of the rock using the equation N/N0=(1/2)t/t[1/2], where N is the number of undec
Number1Ballar

Homework Statement

The technique known as potassium-argon dating is used to date old lava flows. The potassium isotope 40K has a 1.28 billion year half-life and is naturally present at very low levels. 40K decays by beta emission into 40Ar. Argon is a gas, and there is no argon in flowing lava because the gas escapes. Once the lava solidifies, any argon produced in the decay of 40K is trapped inside and cannot escape. A geologist brings you a piece of solidified lava in which you find the 40Ar/40K ratio to be 0.12. What is the age of the rock?

Homework Equations

N=N0(1/2)t/t[1/2]

where N is the number of nuclei, N0 is the initial number of nuclei, t is time allowed to decay and t[1/2] is the half life.

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually do not know where to start with this one. I'm not sure how to apply the ratio given, and what variable I am even looking for, or if I'm even supposed to look at the relevant equation.

Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advanced!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation can be rewritten as

N/N0=(1/2)t/t[1/2]

Can you see a link between the ratio N/N0 and the Ar/K ratio given in the question?

yes I think I see the connection..

0.12 = (1/2)t/1.28billion??

solving for t? I don't get the right answer though

ln(.12) = t/1.25billion(ln.5) is what I was trying..

You'll need to be careful about the value you use for the N/N0 ratio. N is the number of undecayed parent nuclei, not the daughter nuclei formed from the radioactive decay.

Related to How Old Is the Rock Using Potassium-Argon Dating?

What methods are used to determine the age of a rock?

The most common methods used to determine the age of a rock are radiometric dating, relative dating, and stratigraphy. Radiometric dating uses the decay of radioactive elements to calculate the age of a rock. Relative dating compares the placement of rocks and fossils in different layers to determine their relative ages. Stratigraphy involves studying the layers of sedimentary rocks and the fossils within them to establish a timeline.

Why is it important to determine the age of a rock?

Determining the age of a rock is important for understanding geological processes and the history of Earth. It can also help in identifying natural resources, predicting natural disasters, and studying the evolution of life on our planet.

How accurate are the methods used to find the age of a rock?

The accuracy of the methods used to find the age of a rock depends on various factors such as the type of rock, the method used, and the conditions in which the rock was formed. Radiometric dating is considered the most accurate method, with a margin of error of around 1%. Relative dating and stratigraphy can also provide fairly accurate estimates of age, but they are more limited in their precision.

Can the age of a rock change?

The age of a rock is determined by its composition and the events that have occurred since its formation. It does not change over time. However, in rare cases, the age of a rock may be altered if it undergoes metamorphism or is affected by external factors such as erosion or weathering.

What are some limitations of using radiometric dating to determine the age of a rock?

One limitation of radiometric dating is that it can only be used on igneous and metamorphic rocks, as these are the only types of rocks that contain radioactive elements. Additionally, the method may be affected by external factors such as contamination and the loss of radioactive elements due to weathering. It also requires a significant amount of time to pass before the method can accurately determine the age of a rock.