Metaphysics and its application in philosophy

In summary, the individual is asking for recommendations on where to start learning about metaphysics and its role in philosophy. They mention wanting to avoid reading Aristotle and are looking for a general overview before delving into original texts. One suggestion is to look into the connection between Quantum Mechanics and Consciousness. However, it is important to distinguish between metaphysical and physical reasoning. A link is provided for further reading. The individual expresses gratitude for the suggestions and mentions having a book on quantum mechanics that they will now read.
pzona
I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask about this, so feel free to move the topic if it's not. I'm interested in learning a little more about metaphysics and its application in philosophy. Where should I start reading. I'm trying to stay away from Aristotle and get a little more of a general overview before I get into reading original texts. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org

One of the noticeable ones involve the observer in Quantum Mechanics. You might want to read into that (you could find it under anything relating Quantum Mechanics and Consciousness). There are a number of other areas that are different here and there, but most of them seem to converge to a general situation, which is more explicitly covered in this topic...though you might want to be careful in distinguishing metaphysical reasoning from physical reasoning before making heavy connections.

Thank you both. I have a book on quantum mechanics I just never got around to reading, so I'll definitely check that out. And I just skimmed through the link, looks like it has exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again!

Related to Metaphysics and its application in philosophy

What is metaphysics?

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy that deals with the fundamental nature of reality and existence. It explores questions such as what is real, what is the nature of being, and what is the relationship between mind and matter.

How does metaphysics apply to philosophy?

Metaphysics is considered to be the foundation of philosophy, as it seeks to understand the fundamental nature of reality. It provides the framework for other branches of philosophy, such as epistemology, ethics, and logic.

What are the main areas of metaphysics?

The main areas of metaphysics include ontology, which is the study of being and existence; cosmology, which studies the origin and structure of the universe; and mind-body dualism, which examines the relationship between the mind and the physical world.

What are some key concepts in metaphysics?

Some key concepts in metaphysics include substance, causation, time, space, and identity. These concepts are used to understand the nature of reality and how it functions.

How does metaphysics relate to science and religion?

Metaphysics has been a subject of debate between science and religion. While science relies on empirical evidence and experimentation, metaphysics deals with abstract concepts and principles that cannot be proven through observation. Religion, on the other hand, often incorporates metaphysical beliefs into its teachings about the nature of reality and existence.