Mercury not travelling in a straight line?

In summary, Mercury's non-linear movement is caused by its elliptical orbit around the sun and the gravitational pull of other planets in our solar system. Its orbit is not always the same shape, and it does not cross over itself. However, slight changes in its orbit over time result in small alterations in its non-linear path. This non-linear movement also affects Mercury's position in the sky, causing it to appear to move back and forth and exhibit retrograde motion.
seb7
Take a look at this..

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/sunearthday/media_viewer/flash.html
Navigate > Visualizations > Mercury Transit of the Sun

Why is Mercury traveling up and down vertically?

I can understand on most given view points it would not be a straight line, but the line of movement in the video is just weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not seeing what you are seeing. I see it being a little jerky due to an inconsistent framerate, plus the "camera" pans right in steps, but I don't see much if any up and down motion.

Related to Mercury not travelling in a straight line?

1. Why does Mercury not travel in a straight line?

Mercury, like all other planets in our solar system, follows a curved path around the sun due to the force of gravity. This path is called an orbit, and it is not a perfect circle, resulting in Mercury's non-linear movement.

2. Is Mercury's orbit always the same shape?

No, the shape of Mercury's orbit is not always the same. Its orbit is elliptical, meaning it is more oval-shaped than circular. This causes Mercury's distance from the sun to vary throughout its orbit, resulting in varying speeds and a non-linear path.

3. Does Mercury's orbit ever cross over itself?

No, Mercury's orbit does not cross over itself. The planet's orbit is tilted at a slight angle in relation to the Earth's orbit, meaning the two paths do not intersect.

4. Does Mercury's orbit change over time?

Yes, Mercury's orbit changes over time due to the gravitational pull of other planets in our solar system. This can cause slight alterations in the shape and speed of Mercury's orbit, resulting in small changes in its non-linear path.

5. How does Mercury's non-linear movement affect its position in the sky?

Mercury's non-linear movement affects its position in the sky, as seen from Earth. Its varying speed and distance from the sun cause it to appear to move back and forth in the sky, rather than following a straight path like the stars. This phenomenon is known as retrograde motion.