Memories of Bridge to Terabithia & Other Fondly Remembered Books/Movies

• Thread starter ideasrule
  • Start date
In summary: It's funny and clever, and I can see how it would be appealing to people of all ages.In summary, I think books/movies that you're fond of not because of their content, but because of the context in which you read/watched them are a great way to connect with the past.
ideasrule
Homework Helper
...books/movies that you're fond of not because of their content, but because of the context in which you read/watched them? Mine would be Bridge to Terabithia. My teacher read it aloud to the class, all seated on the carpet, when I was in grade 5. I was a recent immigrant at the time and wasn't good at English, so I couldn't understand most of it. The only parts I remember now were a discussion about going to church, something about a bully, and something about Leslie dying and the narrator running around, afraid to stop but not knowing why he's running. At the time, I didn't know what church was, nor what religion was, nor why Leslie was swinging across the rope that led to her death.

It's somewhat of a miracle that seven years later, I remembered the name of the book well enough to find it on the Internet. I just watched the movie Bridge to Terabithia, seven years after I heard the story, and can FINALLY say that I understand the plot.

I thought it would be interesting to hear about what books or movies you guys are fond of because of the memories they bring back, and why.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're twelve?

I was in grade 5 six to seven years ago, so no, 12 would be way too young.

ideasrule said:
I was in grade 5 six to seven years ago, so no, 12 would be way too young.

Oh, I misread "grade 5" as "age 5".

I am trying to think of a book I like because of the associations rather than the book itself, but nothing is coming to mind. I'll think about it more, though.

Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter. i don't think i'd much care for it now, but it was once a great bedtime story. "Peter, where are your clothes?"

Memento and Donnie Darko. I would make Evo Child sit and watch movies with me and she would put up a huge fuss, then after the movie she would talk about how great the movie was, so in return she would pick out two I had to watch with her. These were the first two, and they were great.

The Harry Potter books. When they first came out I wasn't the greatest at reading, so my father would read them to me. Good times!

ideasrule said:
...books/movies that you're fond of not because of their content, but because of the context in which you read/watched them? Mine would be Bridge to Terabithia. My teacher read it aloud to the class, all seated on the carpet, when I was in grade 5. I was a recent immigrant at the time and wasn't good at English, so I couldn't understand most of it. The only parts I remember now were a discussion about going to church, something about a bully, and something about Leslie dying and the narrator running around, afraid to stop but not knowing why he's running. At the time, I didn't know what church was, nor what religion was, nor why Leslie was swinging across the rope that led to her death.

It's somewhat of a miracle that seven years later, I remembered the name of the book well enough to find it on the Internet. I just watched the movie Bridge to Terabithia, seven years after I heard the story, and can FINALLY say that I understand the plot.

I thought it would be interesting to hear about what books or movies you guys are fond of because of the memories they bring back, and why.
I enjoyed the movie "Bridge to Terabithia" - it's pretty intense. I can relate to losing someone very special.

My 5th grade teacher read Amazon Adventure to the class. I thoroughly enjoyed it. We worked fast on our lessons so that we'd get more time for the story. I think she also read Red Badge of Courage.

I wasn't much into fiction in school, since I preferred to read books on math, chemistry and physics, or natural sciences.

During my senior year in high school, I took an elective English class in which the genre was Science Fiction. I found that I did enjoy the fiction, particularly Asimov, Heinlein and Roddenberry. That was when I first read the Foundation and Empire series. About six or seven years ago, I rediscovered the Foundation and Empire series, and some new Prequels/Preludes to the original three books. I read the entire series to my son.

I also read the Harry Potter books to my children, as well as Chrisopher Paolini's Eragon series. I'm waiting for the 4th book.

Of course, Douglas Adam's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a great read.

Related to Memories of Bridge to Terabithia & Other Fondly Remembered Books/Movies

1. What is the plot of Bridge to Terabithia?

Bridge to Terabithia is a novel written by Katherine Paterson and published in 1977. The story follows two fifth graders, Jesse and Leslie, who become best friends and create an imaginary world called Terabithia in the woods near their homes. Tragedy strikes when Leslie dies, and Jesse must learn to cope with the loss of his friend.

2. How did the book/movie impact readers/viewers?

Bridge to Terabithia has had a lasting impact on readers and viewers, particularly children. The story deals with themes of friendship, imagination, loss, and coping with grief, which are relatable to many young readers. The book and movie also promote the importance of creativity and the power of imagination.

3. Is Bridge to Terabithia based on a true story?

No, Bridge to Terabithia is not based on a true story. However, the author, Katherine Paterson, drew inspiration from her own son's childhood experiences and the tragic death of a young girl in her community.

4. What other books/movies are similar to Bridge to Terabithia?

There are many books and movies that share similar themes and elements to Bridge to Terabithia. Some examples include "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls, "Tuck Everlasting" by Natalie Babbitt, and "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis.

5. Are there any notable differences between the book and movie versions of Bridge to Terabithia?

While the movie stays true to the overall plot and themes of the book, there are some notable differences. The movie adds some new scenes and minor characters, and changes the ending slightly. However, the main message and emotional impact of the story remain the same in both versions.