Medical Physics in the UK: Coming from overseas?

In summary, BM is a British citizen living in Canada who is looking for advice on how to enter the field of Medical Physics in the UK with his Canadian MSc qualification. He is specifically interested in the graduate training scheme in the UK and is seeking a perspective from someone in the field. A suggestion is made for him to attend the COMP/IOMP conference to network with physicists who may be able to offer guidance.
Beer-monster
Hi all

I was hoping a medical physicist from the UK may be able to help me out or point me in the right direction.

I'm a British Citizen but for the last 5 years I have lived in Canada (my wife is Canadian). During this time I switched from a PhD in Condensed Matter physics to Medical Physics and expect to graduate with an MSc in Medical Physics within the next year. However, I also expect to return to the UK soon after that.

I'm aware that in the UK, Medical Physicists undergo a graduate training scheme which blends practical experience with the MSc. As I would already possesses the MSc (which is accredited by the Canadian Equivalent of IPEM and will likely cover the same material) I am wondering how I can get into Medical Physics in the UK with my Canadian qualification.

I could not find any especially useful information on the IPEM website and so would like to hear from someone in the field to get a "boots on the ground" perspective, if possible. However, I would appreciate any advice that you guys have to offer.

Thanks

BM

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi BM,

I'm a Canadian medical physicist, so unfortunately I don't have much advice to offer by way of advice for getting into the field in the UK. If you're not already headed there you might want to consider registering for this year's COMP/IOMP conference in Toronto in a few weeks. It's going to be a big conference and there will be plenty of physicists in town from overseas who will be able to answer questions that you might have.

Hi Choppy

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I can't make the COMP/IOMP conference this year. I'm hoping to attend and maybe present at next years event.

However, the general idea, of getting out to a conference to network with someone who may be able to point me in the right direction, is a great suggestion and is much appreciated.

BM

Related to Medical Physics in the UK: Coming from overseas?

1. What is medical physics?

Medical physics is a branch of physics that applies principles and methods of physics to the field of medicine. It involves the use of radiation, imaging techniques, and other technologies to diagnose and treat diseases.

2. How is medical physics practiced in the UK?

In the UK, medical physics is primarily practiced in hospitals and healthcare facilities. Medical physicists work closely with doctors and other healthcare professionals to ensure the safe and effective use of technology in patient care.

3. What are the qualifications required to work as a medical physicist in the UK?

To work as a medical physicist in the UK, you must have a degree in physics or a related field, as well as a postgraduate qualification in medical physics. You may also need to be registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and/or the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM).

4. Are there any language requirements for working as a medical physicist in the UK?

Yes, if you are coming from overseas, you may need to demonstrate your proficiency in English by taking an English language test such as the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This requirement may vary depending on your specific role and employer.

5. What steps should I take to work as a medical physicist in the UK?

If you are interested in working as a medical physicist in the UK, you should research the specific requirements for your desired role and employer. This may include obtaining the necessary qualifications, registering with professional bodies, and applying for a visa if you are not a UK or EU citizen.