Medical Physicist jobs, with UK certification.

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to move back to the US and their concerns about finding a job in their field. They mention having dual citizenship in the UK and US and having completed their degree and worked in the UK. The conversation also touches on the potential need for further training or certification in order to secure a job in the US. The possibility of ABR certification and alternative pathways are mentioned, as well as the potential competition in the job market. The conversation also brings up the possibility of using Canadian certification as an equivalent to ABR certification.
daniel white
Hi,

I have dual citizenship, UK and US, and I have done my degree (Bsc and Msc) at UK universities. As well as 3 years of working as a radiotherapy physicist at a UK hospital. I am looking at moving back to the US so long as I can get a job in my field.

Does anybody know what training/further studying etc I would have to go through before hand to land a job?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this will essentially come down to whether or not you can find an employer who is willing to recognize certification in the UK as sufficient for clinical practice and as an alternative to certification by the American Board of Radiology (ABR).

I don't believe that the ABR has any alternative pathways for foreign-trained and certified medical physicists at the M.S. level. The only alternative pathways that I am aware of are for aspiring medical physicists with a Ph.D. NOT in medical physics that are willing to complete a certificate program.

If you find that ABR certification is something you need then I believe you would be required to enroll in a CAMPEP-accredited graduate program to sit for Part 1 and then complete a CAMPEP-accredited residency to sit for Part 2.

Just to add to what EricVT said, it may really depend on which state you're looking at. Some of them have a licensing procedure for medical physicists, which, to my understanding requires ABR certification. Many won't have any legal requirement for certification, but will require it for the position anyway. And of those that are left you face the issue of a flooded market right now, so even if the position doesn't "require" certification in any way, you're likely competing against a pool of others who have it.

On the other hand, many US positions require ABR certification "or equivalent." The Canadian certification - membership with the CCPM, is generally accepted at par, with the exception of those places that have specific licensure requirements. Did you have to go through any certification process in the UK?

Related to Medical Physicist jobs, with UK certification.

1. What is the role of a Medical Physicist?

A Medical Physicist is a highly trained scientist who specializes in the application of physics in the field of medicine. They work closely with healthcare professionals to ensure the safe and effective use of radiation in medical procedures, such as X-rays, CT scans, and radiation therapy.

2. What qualifications are required to become a Medical Physicist in the UK?

In the UK, a Medical Physicist must have a degree in physics or a related field, followed by a postgraduate qualification in medical physics. They must also have completed a clinical training program and be certified by the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (IPEM).

3. What are the job prospects for Medical Physicists in the UK?

The demand for Medical Physicists in the UK is currently high and is expected to continue growing in the future. Many hospitals and healthcare facilities are expanding their medical physics departments, creating more job opportunities for qualified individuals.

4. What are the typical duties of a Medical Physicist?

A Medical Physicist's duties may vary depending on their area of specialization, but some common tasks include quality assurance of medical equipment, radiation safety, and patient dosimetry. They may also be involved in research and development of new medical technologies.

5. How does UK certification benefit a Medical Physicist's career?

UK certification, through the IPEM, is highly regarded in the medical physics field and is recognized by employers across the country. It demonstrates a high level of expertise and knowledge in the field, as well as a commitment to upholding professional standards and ethics.