Mediation & Mediated Regression: Summing Effect Sizes for Overall Direction?

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, Jona is a Psychology student working as a student assistant on a research project testing a mediated model. They are using SPSS and the Process tool extension for mediation and moderation by Andrew Hayes. They have multiple possible mediating variables and are looking for a way to determine the overall direction of the indirect effect. Their supervisor suggested summing the effect sizes of significant variables, but this is not a valid method. It is recommended to examine individual effect sizes and p-values, and to discuss with the supervisor for accurate interpretation.
Jona1
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I hope someone could help me. I am a Psychology student and currently working as a student assistant in a research project.
We are testing a mediated model, i.e. we want to see whether A's relationship to B is explainable by the indirect relationship through C, D, E...

I am working with SPSS and the Process tool extension for mediation and moderation by Andrew Hayes.

We have multiple possible mediating variables that we tested in a parallel mediation, so we added various mediating variables into the same statistical test.

The problem: Some variables mediate the relationship between A and B with a overall negative, others with an overall positive effect. For the article we would like to draw a conclusion on the overall direction of the indirect effect.
My supervisor suggested to simply sum the effect sizes of the significant variables and see whether the sign is positive or negative. Is this a valid method? I am in doubt.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jona

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Jona,

Welcome to the forum! I am a scientist with a background in psychology and statistics. I can understand your concern about determining the overall direction of the indirect effect in your mediated model.

Firstly, it is important to understand that mediation analysis is a complex statistical method and requires careful interpretation. The direction of the indirect effect is not determined by simply summing the effect sizes of the significant variables. This approach can lead to incorrect conclusions and should not be used.

Instead, it is recommended to examine the individual effect sizes of each mediating variable and their corresponding p-values. If the majority of the mediating variables have a positive effect, then it can be concluded that the overall indirect effect is positive. Similarly, if the majority of the mediating variables have a negative effect, then the overall indirect effect is negative.

Additionally, you can also look at the confidence intervals of the indirect effect to see if they include zero. If they do, then it suggests that the indirect effect is not significant and cannot be concluded to be positive or negative.

I would also suggest discussing this issue with your supervisor and seeking their guidance on how to interpret the results correctly. It is important to ensure that the conclusions drawn from your research are accurate and supported by the data.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research project!

Related to Mediation & Mediated Regression: Summing Effect Sizes for Overall Direction?

1. What is mediation and mediated regression?

Mediation and mediated regression are statistical methods used to examine the relationship between two variables and the potential role of a third variable in that relationship. Mediation involves testing whether the relationship between two variables can be explained by a third variable, while mediated regression involves estimating the strength and direction of the indirect effect of the third variable on the relationship between the two variables.

2. How is the summing of effect sizes used in mediation and mediated regression?

The summing of effect sizes is used in mediation and mediated regression to combine the effects of multiple mediators on the relationship between two variables. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the indirect effects of the third variable on the relationship between the two variables.

3. What is the purpose of summing effect sizes in mediation and mediated regression?

The purpose of summing effect sizes is to provide a more accurate and reliable estimate of the overall indirect effect of the third variable on the relationship between the two variables. This can help researchers better understand the underlying mechanisms of a relationship and make more informed conclusions.

4. What are the assumptions of summing effect sizes in mediation and mediated regression?

The assumptions of summing effect sizes are similar to those of traditional regression analysis, including linearity, normality, and independence of errors. Additionally, it is assumed that the mediators are not correlated with each other, and that the relationship between the mediators and the dependent variable is linear.

5. How can the results of summing effect sizes be interpreted in mediation and mediated regression?

The results of summing effect sizes can be interpreted as the overall indirect effect of the third variable on the relationship between the two variables. This can be used to determine the strength and direction of the indirect effect, and to assess the significance of the relationship. Additionally, the individual effect sizes of each mediator can also be examined to better understand the specific contributions of each variable.