MECHATRONICS vs MECHANICAL/ELECTRICAL engineering

In summary, the conversation is about a person in year 12 who is considering studying engineering at university. They are undecided between mechatronics and aerospace, and are seeking advice on which area would be better to study. The person also asks for advice on aerospace engineering and its pros and cons. The responder mentions that they are graduating with a degree in mechanical engineering and have an interest in mechatronics. They also provide a brief overview of the different areas of engineering and their specialized focuses.
han1994
I'm in year 12, and I've decided I'm going to study engineering at uni.
But i really can't decide. I'm thinking maybe either doing mechatronics or aerospace.
But some people say mechatronics is stupid, and its better either doing mechanical or electrical engineering. While some people say mechatronics is good, and there will be a lot of jobs and a lot of opportunities later on.
So would like some advice on which area would be good to study. Also could you give me some advice on aerospace eng, and tell me the good and bad things about it.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's interesting that your university has a mechatronics degree plan. I'm graduating with a mechanical engineering degree this summer and most of my job interests are mechatronics related. If I find out more information I will definitely add some more information.

Regardless, all of those degree plans will be invaluable to you. However, do you know what are your interests in mechatronics? It is not that well defined and quite large encompassing many sciences.

Aerospace is loads of fluid and aerodynamics.
EE deals a lot with signals, IC etc and is pretty broad like ME
ME deals with just about anything that moves, ME tends to incorporate science related to both Aero and EE as well.

My description doesn't do any of those fields complete justice but they can give you somewhat of an idea.

Related to MECHATRONICS vs MECHANICAL/ELECTRICAL engineering

What is the difference between Mechatronics and Mechanical/Electrical Engineering?

Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles from mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering to design and create intelligent systems. Mechanical/Electrical engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design and development of mechanical systems and electrical systems separately.

Which field has a higher demand for job opportunities?

Both Mechatronics and Mechanical/Electrical engineering have a high demand for job opportunities. However, Mechatronics engineers are in higher demand due to the increasing use of intelligent systems in various industries.

What types of industries can Mechatronics engineers work in?

Mechatronics engineers can work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, manufacturing, robotics, and healthcare. They can also work in research and development, designing new technologies and systems.

Do Mechatronics engineers earn more than Mechanical/Electrical engineers?

Salaries for Mechatronics engineers and Mechanical/Electrical engineers can vary depending on their experience, location, and job role. However, Mechatronics engineers may earn a higher salary due to their specialized skill set and high demand in the job market.

Which field requires more programming knowledge?

Mechatronics engineers require a strong understanding of programming languages, as they work with intelligent systems that require software to function. Mechanical/Electrical engineers may also need some programming knowledge, but it is not as essential as it is for Mechatronics engineers.