Mechanics, Tangential force and potential of a curvilinear path

In summary, the problem requires proving that m*(d^2s/dt^2) = Ftang, the tangential component of the net force on the bead. This can be done by taking the time derivative of the equation v^2=v(dot)v and using vector equations. The relation between F and dv/dt and F and Ftang should be considered in solving this problem.
heycoa

Homework Statement

a) Prove that m (d^2s/dt^2) = Ftang, the tangential component of the net force on the bead. [hint] one way to do this is to take the time derivative of the equation v^2=v(dot)v. The left side should lead you to (d^2s/dt^2), and the right side should lead to Ftang.

b) One force on the bead is the normal force of the wire (which constrains the bead to stay on the wire). If we assume that all other forces (gravity, etc) are conservative, then their resultant can be derived from a potential energy U. Prove that Ftang= -(dU/ds). This shows that one-dimensional systems of this type can be treated just like linear systems, with x replaced by s and Fx by Ftang.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for problem a) I took v^2=v(dot)v and replaced v with (dx/dt)(x hat) + (dy/dt)(y hat), I then dotted the two together and got v^2= (d^2x/dt^2)+(d^2y/dt^2). Then I multiplied both sides of that equation by (d/dt). This lead to the equation equaling: (d^2s/dt^2)= sqrt((d^2x/dt^2)+(d^2y/dt^2)). Which makes sense. I then multiplied both sides by the mass and wound up with the correct term on the left side (m*(d^2s/dt^2)) and sqrt(m^2(d^2x/dt^2)+m^2(d^2y/dt^2)) on the right hand side. But I do not know if this is correct, I have no idea what the tangential force is supposed to look like.

For problem b) I am stuck and don't really know where to begin. I am calling the potential energy of this system m*g*y, where y is the height of the bead on the wire. I do not know where to go from here.

Please help me,
thank you for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
hi heycoa! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
heycoa said:
a) Prove that m (d^2s/dt^2) = Ftang, the tangential component of the net force on the bead. [hint] one way to do this is to take the time derivative of the equation v^2=v(dot)v. The left side should lead you to (d^2s/dt^2), and the right side should lead to Ftang.

for problem a) I took v^2=v(dot)v and replaced v with (dx/dt)(x hat) + (dy/dt)(y hat), I then dotted the two together and got v^2= (d^2x/dt^2)+(d^2y/dt^2). Then I multiplied both sides of that equation by (d/dt). This lead to the equation equaling: (d^2s/dt^2)= sqrt((d^2x/dt^2)+(d^2y/dt^2)). Which makes sense. I then multiplied both sides by the mass and wound up with the correct term on the left side (m*(d^2s/dt^2)) and sqrt(m^2(d^2x/dt^2)+m^2(d^2y/dt^2)) on the right hand side. But I do not know if this is correct, I have no idea what the tangential force is supposed to look like.

no, they want you do it quickly using vector equations, not using coordinates

hint: what is the relation between F and dv/dt ?

what is the relation between F and Ftang ? :wink:

Tiny-tim, thank you very much for the response.

When you say they want me to do it quickly using vector equations, are you saying that m*(d2s/dt2) =m*sqrt(d2x/dt2)+(d2x/dt2)) is incorrect? I'm not sure how else I can show what s'' equals.

I am thinking that the tangential force is equal to the force: m*s'' in the direction of the curved wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the relation between F and dv/dt ?

what is the relation between F and Ftang ?

and effort.

Dear student,

Great job with problem a)! Your approach is correct, and you have correctly derived the equation (d^2s/dt^2) = Ftang. This means that the tangential component of the net force on the bead is equal to the second derivative of the position with respect to time, multiplied by the mass.

For problem b), you are on the right track by considering the potential energy of the system. However, instead of using m*g*y, let's use a more general form for the potential energy, U(s), where s is the position along the curvilinear path. This means that the potential energy is a function of the position along the path.

Now, the normal force of the wire can be represented as a conservative force, which means that it can be derived from a potential energy. This potential energy can be written as U(s). This means that the normal force can be written as -dU(s)/ds, since the derivative of the potential energy with respect to the position gives us the force.

We can also write the tangential force as Ftang = m*(d^2s/dt^2). Now, from problem a), we know that (d^2s/dt^2) = Ftang. Combining this with the expression for the normal force, we get Ftang = -dU(s)/ds. This shows that the tangential force can be treated just like the force in a linear system, with the position s replacing the variable x. This is a powerful result, as it allows us to use the same equations and principles for both linear and curvilinear systems.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Keep up the good work!

Related to Mechanics, Tangential force and potential of a curvilinear path

What is mechanics?

Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces, and how they affect objects.

What is tangential force?

Tangential force is a type of force that is applied at a tangent to the path of an object. It is responsible for causing rotational motion in an object.

What is potential in a curvilinear path?

Potential in a curvilinear path refers to the amount of energy an object has at a particular point in its path. It takes into account both the kinetic energy and the potential energy of the object.

How is tangential force related to potential in a curvilinear path?

Tangential force and potential in a curvilinear path are related through the work-energy theorem. The tangential force does work on the object, which changes its kinetic and potential energy, and thus affects the potential in the curvilinear path.

What are some real-life examples of mechanics, tangential force, and potential in a curvilinear path?

Examples of mechanics, tangential force, and potential in a curvilinear path can be seen in a variety of everyday activities. For instance, when riding a bicycle, the tangential force from pedaling causes the wheels to rotate and the potential energy in the curvilinear path of the wheels increases as they move up and down hills. Another example is a roller coaster, where the potential energy of the cars increases as they climb up a hill and decreases as they go down a drop, while the tangential force from the tracks keeps them moving along the curvilinear path.