Find the path of a particle given a potential function.

In summary: Interesting. Thank you for pointing that out! Fantastic finish to a great weekend.Additional comment: The function ## u ## has frequency ##\omega_1=3 \omega_2 ##, where ## \omega_2 ## is the frequency of v. i.e. ## \omega=2 \pi f ##. If ## u ## and ## v ## are both periodic with this slower ## f_2 ##, then ## x ## and ## y ## will also repeat at this same frequency, because ## x=(u+v)/2 ##, and ## y=(u-v)/2 ##. The period is ## T=1/f
693Janu
I am tasked with finding the path a particle takes through this potential field.
$$U(x,y) = x^2+xy+y^2$$
I then took the gradient, and this produced a pair of differential equations.
$$\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=\frac{1}{m}(-2x-y)$$
$$\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=\frac{1}{m}(-2y-x)$$
I have yet to encounter set of coupled differential equations in this form. It looks simple, but it has proven to be very tricky to solve.

Any thoughts? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a different set of coordinates where the differential equations become independent.

Likes 693Janu
mfb said:
There is a different set of coordinates where the differential equations become independent.
I was given initial coordinates $$(3,4)$$

My comment was independent of initial conditions.

@693Janu Your second equation should read ## d^2 y/dt^2 =... ##. And if I understood the hint by @mfb , try adding the two differential equations together. The necessary change of coordinates becomes obvious, I believe. Also, subtract one equation from the other. This will give you two sets of solvable equations, from which you can then solve for ## x ## and ## y ##.

Likes 693Janu
Great advice, thank you so much. However, I have never done this discussed "change of coordinates before". I do see how after adding the two equations together I can say... let $$u=x+y$$ and that gives a nice SHM solution. But how do I extract x(t) from that answer? Or do I even need to?

Likes Charles Link
693Janu said:
Great advice, thank you so much. However, I have never done this discussed "change of coordinates before". I do see how after adding the two equations together I can say... let $$u=x+y$$ and that gives a nice SHM solution. But how do I extract x(t) from that answer? Or do I even need to?
Also subtract the two equations and let ## v=x-y ##. Solve for ## v ##. You have solutions for ## u ## and ## v ##. Solve for ## x ## and ## y ##. (This part I edited/added to my post 5, maybe after you already looked at it.)

Likes 693Janu
I had that intuition before I even read your post (personal high five), and it worked out! I have two solutions and I can now solve for Initial conditions. That's great! However, the last tricky step is finding the period. How would I find the period with two different omega values? Because I have $${w_1}^2 = 3/m $$ $${w_2}^2 = 1/m $$

Likes Charles Link
693Janu said:
I had that intuition before I even read your post (personal high five), and it worked out! I have two solutions and I can now solve for Initial conditions. That's great! However, the last tricky step is finding the period. How would I find the period with two different omega values? Because I have $${w_1}^2 = 3/m $$ $${w_2}^2 = 1/m $$
Believe it would be the slower frequency, given that the x motion is a multiple (3) of the slower one (y). The motion will be periodic at the slower one=it will return to the same place at the slower rate. Did I interpret that correctly, or does ## u ## have a frequency that is 3x that of ## v ##?

The squared frequencies have a a factor 3, that doesn't give a common frequency for the motion.

This was fun! Thanks so much! Fantastic finish to a great weekend.

Additional comment: The function ## u ## has frequency ##\omega_1=3 \omega_2 ##, where ## \omega_2 ## is the frequency of v. i.e. ## \omega=2 \pi f ##. If ## u ## and ## v ## are both periodic with this slower ## f_2 ##, then ## x ## and ## y ## will also repeat at this same frequency, because ## x=(u+v)/2 ##, and ## y=(u-v)/2 ##. The period is ## T=1/f_2=2 \pi/\omega_2 ##. ## \\ ## And additional note: The complete solution with initial coordinates will also require an initial velocity.

@Charles Link: The factor 3 should appear between the squared frequencies, not between the frequencies.

Likes Charles Link
mfb said:
@Charles Link: The factor 3 should appear between the squared frequencies, not between the frequencies.
Thank you, my mistake. That does make it a little more difficult finding the period I think. Perhaps it then becomes aperiodic.

Charles Link said:
Additional comment: The function ## u ## has frequency ##\omega_1=3 \omega_2 ##, where ## \omega_2 ## is the frequency of v. i.e. ## \omega=2 \pi f ##. If ## u ## and ## v ## are both periodic with this slower ## f_2 ##, then ## x ## and ## y ## will also repeat at this same frequency, because ## x=(u+v)/2 ##, and ## y=(u-v)/2 ##. The period is ## T=1/f_2=2 \pi/\omega_2 ##. ## \\ ## And additional note: The complete solution with initial coordinates will also require an initial velocity.
Imagine that, I was given initial velocity.

693Janu said:
Imagine that, I was given initial velocity.
The solutions you have should be of the form ## u=A \cos(\omega_1 t+\phi_1 ) ## and ## v=B \cos(\omega_2 t+\phi_2) ##. It remains to solve for ## A ## , ## B ##, ## \phi_1 ##, and ## \phi_2 ## from the initial conditions. Meanwhile @mfb had an important input, catching my mistake so that ## \omega_1=\sqrt{3} \omega_2 ##. My first instincts is that this thing is aperiodic, but I could be wrong.

It is aperiodic as ##\sqrt{3}## is not a rational number.

Likes Charles Link

Related to Find the path of a particle given a potential function.

1. What is the purpose of finding the path of a particle given a potential function?

The purpose of finding the path of a particle given a potential function is to understand the behavior of the particle in a given system. By determining the path of the particle, we can predict its motion and make further calculations about its trajectory and energy.

2. What is a potential function?

A potential function is a mathematical representation of the forces acting on a particle in a given system. It describes the energy of the particle at different positions and allows us to calculate its motion using the laws of physics.

3. How do you find the path of a particle given a potential function?

The path of a particle can be found by solving the equations of motion, which are derived from the potential function. This involves using calculus and applying the laws of motion to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at different points in time.

4. What factors can affect the path of a particle in a potential function?

The path of a particle can be affected by various factors such as the shape of the potential function, the initial position and velocity of the particle, and any external forces acting on the particle. These factors can alter the trajectory and energy of the particle, resulting in a different path.

5. Can the path of a particle in a potential function be predicted with 100% accuracy?

No, the path of a particle in a potential function cannot be predicted with 100% accuracy. This is due to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously known. However, by using the laws of physics and making reasonable assumptions, we can make accurate predictions about the path of a particle given a potential function.