How to Calculate the Force Needed to Move a Roller Over an Obstacle?

In summary, a 1.0m diameter roller weighing 360N requires a horizontal force to pull it over a 0.1m high brick, with the force applied at the center being different from the force applied at the top. The term 'roller' refers to a cylinder with a circular cross-section, and a diagram is necessary to show the forces acting at the point of contact between the roller and the brick. MS Word does have a drawing tool, and drawing a 2D profile of the roller and brick may be easier than a 3D perspective. The lines of action of the forces can be determined using moments.
John O' Meara
A roller whose diameter is 1.0m weighs 360N. What horizontal force is necessary to pull the roller over a brick 0.1m high, when the force is applied (a) at the center, (b) at the top of the roller.
I need a diagram showing the forces acting at the point of contact between the roller and the brick, please? I only know how to use MS word which has no drawing tool in it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean when you say 'a roller'? Could you draw a sketch of the problem with paintbrush and post the image?

I believe 'roller' means cylinder (circular cross-section).

The roller has radius 0.5 m, since the diameter = height = 1.0 m.

It might be easier to draw triangles.

Word does have drawing tool. If one doesn't see the drawing toolbar, go to View - Toolbars - select Drawing, and the drawing toolbar should be activated. If one doesn't have it installed, then install it from the CD, assuming one has MS Office or Word CD.

Yes a roller means a cylinder. My attempt at drawing a cylinder in contact with a brick can be classed a failure, I wanted to show the lines of action of the forces acting on the brick due to the roller( as I see them) but the drawing got too messy. I have to figure out how to group figures like circles and lines to make a roller e.t.c.

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    19 KB · Views: 307
Perhaps it would be better to simply draw the profile (2D) rather than perspective (3D). One can assume constant or uniform cross-section.

Draw a circle and place a box, with the corner in contact with the circumference. The bottom of the circle (OD = 1 m) and the base of the box (height = 0.1 m, or 0.1 of circle diameter) should be tangent.

Then draw the lines from the contact point of the box to the center of mass and the point of force application. Then use moments to determine the force necessary to lift the roller.

Related to How to Calculate the Force Needed to Move a Roller Over an Obstacle?

What is a moments diagram?

A moments diagram is a graphical representation of the forces acting on an object or system, as well as the moments or torques produced by those forces. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the stability and equilibrium of a structure.

How is a moments diagram different from a free body diagram?

A free body diagram shows all the forces acting on an object, while a moments diagram also includes the moments or torques produced by those forces. Essentially, a moments diagram provides a more detailed analysis of the forces and their effects on an object.

What information can be obtained from a moments diagram?

A moments diagram can provide information on the magnitude, direction, and location of forces acting on an object or system, as well as the stability and equilibrium of the object. It can also be used to calculate the resulting moments or torques and determine the overall structural integrity.

How is a moments diagram created?

To create a moments diagram, the first step is to draw a free body diagram of the object or system. Then, moments are calculated by multiplying the force by its distance from a chosen point (usually the point of rotation). The moments are then plotted on the diagram, with the direction and magnitude indicated by arrows and lengths, respectively.

What are some real-world applications of moments diagrams?

Moments diagrams have many practical applications, such as in the design and analysis of bridges, buildings, and other structures. They are also used in mechanical systems to assess the stability and safety of machinery, as well as in physics experiments to study the effects of forces and torques on objects.