Mechanics problem: Ladder on a wall help please

In summary, a ladder with a weight of 200n and length of 5m is resting on a horizontal rough concrete surface and leaning against a smooth wall. The angle between the ladder and the concrete is 40 degrees, and the question is asking for the coefficient of static friction. The solution involves using trigonometry and drawing a diagram to determine the normal force, friction force, weight, and direction of force from the wall.
learning420
Mechanics problem: Ladder on a wall help please :(

Homework Statement

"A ladder of weight 200n and of length 5m rests with its lower end on a horizontal rough concrete surface and its upper end against a smooth wall. if the ladder just starts to slip when the angle between it and the concrete is 40(degrees) calculate the coefficient of static friction:"

having trouble with trigonometry here, i can do questions where i have lengths but no angle but this one is spinning me out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi learning420! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Draw a diagram showing the normal force form the ground, the friction force, the weight, and the direction of the force from the wall, and take components and moments …

what do you get? :smile:

Related to Mechanics problem: Ladder on a wall help please

1. What is the purpose of the ladder on the wall?

The purpose of the ladder on the wall is to provide a means of reaching high places that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to reach. It also allows for the transfer of objects from one level to another.

2. How should I calculate the forces acting on the ladder?

To calculate the forces acting on the ladder, you will need to consider the weight of the ladder, the weight of the person standing on the ladder, and any external forces such as wind or friction. These forces can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of equilibrium.

3. What factors affect the stability of the ladder?

The stability of the ladder is affected by several factors, including the angle at which the ladder is leaning against the wall, the weight and distribution of the load on the ladder, and the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground. The material and construction of the ladder also play a role in its stability.

4. How can I ensure the ladder is safe to use?

To ensure the ladder is safe to use, it is important to inspect it for any defects or damage before each use. The ladder should also be placed on a stable and level surface, and the user should maintain three points of contact with the ladder at all times. It is also recommended to have a spotter or helper present when using a ladder.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using a ladder on a wall?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using a ladder on a wall include overreaching, placing the ladder on an unstable surface, not securing the ladder properly, and not using proper ladder safety techniques. It is also important to never stand on the top rung of the ladder or exceed the weight limit of the ladder.