Man on ladder wishes to avoid the ladder slipping

• MHB
  • Thread starter Joe_1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slipping
In summary, a 6 m ladder weighing 350N with a man weighing 900N climbing to the top at a 30° angle against the wall has a coefficient of friction between the floor and ladder of 0.20. The friction between the wall and ladder is also 0.20.
Joe_1234
A 6 m ladder weighs 350N and is placed with its lower end on a horizontal floor and its upper end against the wall. The angle between the wall and the ladder is 30°. A man weighing 900N is to climb to the very top of the ladder. The coefficient of friction between the floor and the ladder to avoid the danger of slipping is?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you show what you have so far so we know where you're stuck?

I have this diagram, but I'm not sure about this 900 N, on top of the ladder already?

$\sum F_x = 0$, $\sum F_y = 0$, and $\sum \tau = 0$

EC3D7510-DF2D-4271-A829-2C81102E0BDA.jpeg

skeeter said:

View attachment 10283
I forgot there is friction between the wall and the
skeeter said:

View attachment 10283
I forgot there is a friction between the wall and the ladder which is 0.20

Joe_1234 said:
I forgot there is a friction between the wall and the ladder which is 0.20

Which direction do you think the wall friction acts on the ladder?

1. How can I prevent the ladder from slipping while I am on it?

There are a few ways to prevent a ladder from slipping while you are on it. First, make sure the ladder is on a flat and stable surface. You can also use a ladder stabilizer or anti-slip rubber pads on the bottom of the ladder. Additionally, always make sure the ladder is fully extended and locked in place before climbing.

2. What is the safest way to climb up and down a ladder?

The safest way to climb up and down a ladder is to maintain three points of contact at all times. This means having two hands and one foot, or two feet and one hand, on the ladder at all times. It is also important to face the ladder and avoid leaning or reaching too far to one side.

3. How do I know if a ladder is the right size for my needs?

The size of the ladder you need depends on the height of the task you are trying to reach. As a general rule, the ladder should extend 3 feet above the surface you need to reach. For example, if you need to reach a roof that is 20 feet high, you should use a ladder that is at least 23 feet tall.

4. Can I use a ladder on uneven surfaces?

It is not recommended to use a ladder on uneven surfaces, as this increases the risk of the ladder slipping or tipping over. If you must use a ladder on an uneven surface, make sure to use a ladder leveler or secure the ladder with sandbags or other stabilizing objects.

5. What should I do if the ladder starts to slip while I am on it?

If the ladder starts to slip, do not panic. Hold onto the ladder and try to reposition your body to distribute your weight evenly. If possible, have someone hold the ladder in place while you safely climb down. It is important to always have a spotter or helper when using a ladder.