Mechanics -- Object sliding again with friction

In summary, the object slides down a plane which is at a 45 degree angle with respect to the surface, and it slides for 0.36 meters before reaching a velocity of 2 meters per second. The coefficient of friction is necessary to be calculated.
prehisto

Homework Statement

first of all- yes,i looked into similar topics,did not succeed :(

My problem : The objects slides down on a plane which located 45degrees with respect to surface. It slides s=0.36m down, it reaches v=2m/s. I have to calculate the coefficient of friction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There is image( sorry for some reason, i could not upload it directly to here)
[/B]
http://postimg.org/image/uof2i65zv/

So the friction coef. F_friction=(mu)*F_reaction -> (mu)=F_f/F_r
From image above, its easy to see,that tan(alpha)=mu,so it seems too easy.

And what for i need s and v values? I suppose it could be because i just calculated the static friction ,not the dynamic,yes? If i should calculate the dynamic one,could someone help ,please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you should start with a clear sketch of the inclined plane, with the sliding object and the forces involved... I've seen your image, and it doesn't seem clear to me...

NTW said:
I think that you should start with a clear sketch of the inclined plane, with the sliding object and the forces involved... I've seen your image, and it doesn't seem clear to me...

I can't imagine what can i ad, there is Force of friction,reaction and mg, corresponding counter forces..

The essential vectors that you should draw clearly are:

1) The weight mg
2) One of its components, normal to the plane
3) The other component, parallel to the plane
4) The friction force.

NTW said:
The essential vectors that you should draw clearly are:

1) The weight mg
2) One of its components, normal to the plane
3) The other component, parallel to the plane
4) The friction force.

http://postimg.org/image/6ztyvaf4r/

F_F is the friction force.
And now there is components of mg!

Last edited by a moderator:
You should list those forces, one by one, as functions of mg. Then, write down the expression of the net force along the plane.

After that, you should ask yourself: does the object accelerate in his sliding motion? And by how much?

There may be other approaches to the problem, of course. That's just my way of solving it, that I believe correct...

Related to Mechanics -- Object sliding again with friction

1. What is object sliding with friction in mechanics?

Object sliding with friction is a phenomenon in mechanics where an object is in motion on a surface and is slowed down due to the resistance caused by the contact between the object and the surface.

2. How does friction affect the sliding motion of an object?

Friction creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down. Friction can also cause the object to move in a different direction than intended.

3. How is friction calculated in mechanics?

Friction is calculated using the coefficient of friction and the normal force. The coefficient of friction is a measure of the surface's resistance to motion and the normal force is the force exerted by the surface on the object perpendicular to the surface.

4. How can friction be reduced in object sliding?

Friction can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, lubricating the surface, or reducing the normal force by decreasing the weight of the object or increasing the contact area.

5. What are some real-life examples of object sliding with friction?

Examples of object sliding with friction include a car driving on a road, a person walking on a sidewalk, and a hockey puck sliding on ice. Any situation where an object is in motion on a surface will experience friction.