Mechanics Lab | A Simple Pendulum & a Small Magnet Underneath

In summary: I'll give that a try.In summary, the author has measurements of period time and distances. They think about adding a magnetic force but do not know how to integrate the distance there. They ask for help and appreciate any kind of help.
Curious_Student
Homework Statement
A pendulum made of an iron bob which is hanged at the bottom tip of a rod (rods' mass can be neglected) where connected to an angular ratio sensor, mesuring with a MultiLab program (just the period of time according to its' harmonic motion, taking avg. of 10 swings-cycles pick-to-pick, devided by 10). Underneath the pendulums' bob there is a small magnet which applies a force in addition to the gravity downwards and impacts the period of time when swinging.
I placed the small magnet underneath on an hydraulic stand for adjusting the distance between the magnet and bob (intervals of 1 mm because the magnet is weak), so that the length of the pendulum is constant, unchanged.

The Quest: is to find pendulums' Period Time dependence on distance between bob and the magnet, then find magnets' force as function of the distance, from measured periiod times.
Relevant Equations
Considering it as a simple mathematical pendulum:

T= 2pi*root(l/g)
linear: T^2 = 4pi^2/g*l

This is all the info. I got, no such magnetic formulas.
I think the way they direct is to treat the Magnetic Force as a Variable (x) and adding it and the distance, somehow.. to the formula above,
Because as we did before (finding period time as function of length T^2(l)), I was told to do in a similar way, building a linear graph and finding the value from the relation.

But im stuck..
How can I add the magnets' force and its' distance into this formula?
Anything else conastant (length,pi,g..)

If anybody can to just throw me a clue.. I am really confused.
I have measurements of period time and distances that's all:
T (sec)​
D (m)​
0.9​
0.008​
0.91​
0.009​
0.97​
0.01​
0.98​
0.011​
1.06​
0.012​

I thought about adding the magnetic force like: T=2π*√l/(g+x) but have no clue how to integrate the distance there,
I don't know even how to start..

Appreciate any kind of help,
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
gneill said:
Take a look at the derivation of the period of a simple pendulum. For example here:

http://dev.physicslab.org/Document.aspx?doctype=3&filename=OscillatoryMotion_PendulumSHM.xml

See if you can't find a way to work the magnetic force into that. I think you can assume that over the range where the magnetic force is effective it is parallel to the gravitational force.
I see, but I am sorry, still don't get it .. how to find the magnetic force and its' vertical distance relation as a function of the period time? all i have is the period time and distance correlation measurements..
Can you be more specific please? and yes I would take the magnet force as parallel
to g force only.

You'll need the mass of the bob, or at lest the period of the pendulum when there's no magnet operating; the mass of the bob can be extracted from that information. You'll also need the length of the pendulum.

If you look at the page I referenced, the restoring force is give by ##m g \sin(\theta)##. If you add a value for the magnetic force, ##F_m## then that restoring force becomes: ##\left(m g + F_m \right) \sin(\theta)## . Complete the derivation in the same fashion they did. Solve for ##F_m##.

I do have the mass of the bob, but it cancles out:
1578769069534.png
so why do i need it? and how to deal the length if its constant?
If I understand you right, you suggest to add Fm to dominator as: T= 2π√[l/(g+Fm)] like I've mentioned and to rescue Fm right? but where should the distance from the magnet be placed into consideration.
I should find some linear relation, to form a graph for T(magnet distance) and get the Fm from there somehow. Still don't get it.. I'm sorry.

g is an acceleration while Fm is a force. You cannot sum them in that fashion.

In the derivation where they introduce the restoring force:

##M g \sin(\theta) = k_s L \theta##

you introduce the additional magnetic force:

##\left( M g + F_m \right) \sin(\theta) = k_s L \theta##

then carry on. The final expression for the period will involve L, M, Fm, and g.

Solve it for Fm then you can plot Fm versus D.

gneill said:
g is an acceleration while Fm is a force. You cannot sum them in that fashion.

In the derivation where they introduce the restoring force:

##M g \sin(\theta) = k_s L \theta##

you introduce the additional magnetic force:

##\left( M g + F_m \right) \sin(\theta) = k_s L \theta##

then carry on. The final expression for the period will involve L, M, Fm, and g.

Solve it for Fm then you can plot Fm versus D.
ok, thank you

Related to Mechanics Lab | A Simple Pendulum & a Small Magnet Underneath

1. What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a device that consists of a weight or mass suspended from a pivot point by a string or rod. The motion of the pendulum is caused by the gravitational force acting on the mass.

2. How does a simple pendulum work?

The motion of a simple pendulum is governed by the laws of physics, specifically the law of conservation of energy. The pendulum swings back and forth in a regular and predictable pattern due to the interplay between its potential energy (when it is at its highest point) and its kinetic energy (when it is at its lowest point).

3. What factors affect the period of a simple pendulum?

The period (or time it takes for one full swing) of a simple pendulum is affected by its length and the strength of the gravitational field. The period is longer for longer pendulum lengths and shorter for stronger gravitational fields. Other factors such as air resistance and the mass of the pendulum also play a role.

4. Why is a small magnet used in this mechanics lab?

The small magnet is used to introduce an external magnetic force to the pendulum, which allows for a more complex motion and investigation. The interaction between the magnet and the pendulum can also demonstrate principles of magnetism and electromagnetism.

5. What is the importance of studying mechanics and simple pendulums?

Mechanics is a fundamental branch of physics that helps us understand the motion and behavior of objects in the physical world. By studying simple pendulums, we can gain a better understanding of concepts such as energy, gravity, and oscillatory motion. This knowledge can then be applied to more complex systems and real-world problems.